Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Announcements

Unread 03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
verticalcult

Hey dudes (and dudettes), just a possibly half-baked thought about the slogan thing...how would people feel about a T-shirt with actual "Korean" on it? Not only is such an article as rare as hens teeth (korean T's all have dodgey English, never Han-gul), it's totally likely to attract the attention of our host country climbers, clueing them into "who the hell we are", finally it might also help US learn a wee bit of the local vernacular...well here's a few ideas to think on:
1-Bi-lingual "mini-dictionary" (like 3-10 max!) of climbing terms (could be humorous/ serious/both), perhaps even accompanied by cartoon illustration to highlight the point. e.g. "Taking a whipper!", "On belay, climb on!", "Elvis Dance", "cranking hard" etc etc etc
2-Simple short bi-lingual "notice" saying who and what KOTR is.
3-Across the culture, across the crux - no problem! (In Korean and English)

I'd happily do all the translations here with some Korean climber mates if you think it's a goer...otherwise, toss the idea, that's cool too.
Unread 03-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Pummelling Pinnacles

I really like the idea of having Hangul on the shirt...

You just have to make sure you preserve the continuity of our word puns. From my experience, the language seems to be lost on sarcasm. (Granted, that is from very little experience; but lack of knowledge never stopped anyone else from subjecting me to their opinion... so I'm reserving the same right).
Unread 03-15-2006, 12:03 AM
peace

xcellent ideas, all. half-baked ideas are often the best ones, witness the ben and jerry's fro-yo of the same name. .

Quote:
* Body By Soju
* Come For The Kim Chee, Stay For The Climbing *Across the culture, across the crux - no problem!
might work as a translated slogan, something the Koreans would understand and appreciate (the humor in).

A mini dictionary or "crag tour" (listing all the posted areas, in Korean and English?) could go on the back, with the website.

Might actually become a hot commodity here-- save the design

I trust Jake with the Korean, but after that last post in the spelling thread, maybe Daniel should proof the English?
Unread 03-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Aggressive Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanja
...how would people feel about a T-shirt with actual "Korean" on it? Not only is such an article as rare as hens teeth...
2-Simple short bi-lingual "notice" saying who and what KOTR is.
Shanja, I don't know much about hens teeth, but I think this is a great idea. my vote would be for #2 but I don't think it need be a bilingual notice. Hangul would inform the locals, but english speakers can just ask us.
looking forward to the shirts! will there be a selection of colors???
-r
Unread 03-15-2006, 10:50 AM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

i really like these new ideas! especially the mini dictionary, notice and the list of crags. decisions decisions...

i wasnt planning on having a selection of colors as i dont want to end up with a bunch left over and be out a bunch of money. im thinking one color and a decent amount for each size. (having all the sizes available is the crux)

if you're inspired one way or the other why not post your 3-10 words to have translated OR the Notice that would appear. just english. we can translate later.
Unread 03-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Stuck in Louisiana

Eric,

Have you made a decision reguarding the tee shirt?
Unread 03-17-2006, 12:20 PM
☆★☆★☆★☆★

not yet
Unread 03-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Expating in Seoul

I vote for "Come for the Kim Chee, stay for the climbing.
Unread 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Ayeishi!

I like " Across the culture, across the crux." That's way deep, man.

I like the idea of some Hanguel on it too. The definitions sound cool, but
#1 it will probably put the printing cost up. And
#2 It might just look ugly to have so much writing on it.

I like the flower idea on the "anterior", but my guess is that most of the dudes won't be diggin' that so much. I guess we want to portray ourselves as hardcore climbers. I don't know why, but a flower just doesn't convey that image so well.

As far as the design goes, why not have KOTR in gryscale on the sort of side abdomen region. Y'know like the Mamut shirts, or Volcom shirts. Well, I'm not sure how that would look. Just an idea to think about. Y'know the actual placement of the logo.

Anyway. I really hope this flies. I wanna get me a t-shirt. I really don't care what it says on it. I'll buy it anyway. Even if it does say "Jamming fists when fingers won't do" or whatever that dirty little bird wrote.
Unread 03-21-2006, 11:02 PM
peace

Yeah, I sort of like the "across the culture, across the crux, no problem" if it translates well. (As long as it doesn't say "no pro" as some of my Korean climbing friends used to shorten "no problem") I'd still like to see the back like a comp T, with all the locations from KOTR (keeping printing costs down, all the crags in one park could be together: Daedunsan, Sununsan, Pukhansan. . . ) Koreans might recognize their "home" crag. The crags could be done only in Hangul (I'd be happy to double check the spellings!!). . . which might help us practice our spelling The website should be easy to read and in a place shy Koreans wouldn't mind staring at (maybe across the back, above the crag tour). . . I think the colors should be red and blue, like the Korean flag . . . if you used the yin/yang, "across the crux" around the top, "across the culture" around the bottom, "no problem" through the middle? underneath? Well there's my opinion, I guess!

On another note, assuming they are reasonably priced I will likely get one for my gym owner/trainer, and my friend Malcolm (whom I owe BIG TIME) . . . I think they would make wonderful gifts for the Korean climbers who drive you to all the crags, buy dinner, etc.