Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 09-21-2017, 11:15 PM
Seorak Sender

Chuseok climbing in Seonunsan

My partner and I are hoping to do a day's climbing at Seonunsan during the Chuseok holidays. We'll be travelling down from Jeonju by bus to Jeongeup and then to the park by bus from there, unless anyone can offer us a better idea for travel options. No date in our diaries yet, but possibly Tuesday 3rd October. If anyone is interested in joining us, you'd be very welcome. And if anyone has any advice or top tips, we'd be keen to hear those too. I don't have a Korean phone number, but I'm on KakaoTalk so we can make arrangements via that if anyone is game.
Unread 09-22-2017, 02:47 PM
peace

Tip: Be sure you know the bus schedule from Jeongeup, so you're not waiting there too long. When I lived in Jeonju and didn't drive, I always went through Gochang, as so many city busses from Gochang to the park. The bus from Jeonju stopped in Hongdeok and was a little slow, though.

Not sure what your plans are for the rest of the long week, but I am putting together a road trip-- probably focus on the east and south as I don't get there as much.
Unread 09-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Seorak Sender

Smile

Thanks for the tip about the buses - we'd certainly prefer not to be hanging around somewhere too long as we want to see some of the sites of the park as well as climb.

Not too sure about the rest of the week as my partner's only here for eight days and, as it's his first visit to Korea, we want to do some touristy visits too.

However I'm here for the next year, so give me a shout if you have any other plans at a later date.

Thanks again
Unread 09-26-2017, 08:23 PM
peace

It's quite a haul for a day trip. You should consider staying overnight. There's a great (last time I was there a few months ago) still free campground. Minbaks just in the park (behind the hotels) or just outside the entrance are the cheapest options for 2 people (the youth hostel has 4-person rooms).

The climbing has a pretty lengthy approach, though it will take you past the main temple-- worth seeing. The stone cut Buddha is another hour round trip (if you just go and look and go back) at the crossroads (i.e. the last bathroom/store/cafe on the approach).

If you don't want to stay the night-- check the bus schedule! Not sure how crowded it will be for the holidays (I have been there during many Chuseoks-- probably 6 at least-- and crowds vary between very and regular weekend.) It's definitely a worthwhile place to bring a short term guest, however. . . just not the most practical from Jeonju without a car!

My favorite place to visit in Korea is Jeonju, thought! I still bring my guests there and visit at least twice a year!
Unread 09-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Seorak Sender

You're a star - thanks for the extra info. Yes, I thought perhaps we might want to think about staying over but haven't been able to get hold the one hostel that I found a link to. I was a bit worried about needing a youth hostel membership card in order to stay at the hostels. Clearly I don't have one. Are they terribly strict about that? I'll pursue it further as it certainly does seem like a lot to do in just one day.

Hope you managed to find someone to go to the German beerfest with you. I looked at that too, but it coincides with my partner's departure from the other end of the country
Unread 09-28-2017, 05:59 PM
peace

The hostel doesn't require a membership. I've stayed several times and none of yes had memberships.