Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

View Poll Results: WHERE do you wanna have the Spring 2008 M&G?
Jinnan - Maisan 3 12.50%
Ulsan - Musunsan 1 4.17%
Busan - Geumjeongsan 2 8.33%
Wonju - Ganhyeon 16 66.67%
Jeong Eup/ Gochang - Seonunsan 15 62.50%
Other - note on thread where. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-16-2008, 06:13 PM
verticalcult

2008 Spring Meet and Greet WHERE Poll

So come on, vote for where you want it. Remember the need for the crag to have all the facilities (toilets, camping, access etc) for 40 plus people of various climbing skills.
Unread 03-17-2008, 03:55 PM
peace

names and places

for those of you new to Korea, or not familiar with the choices, heres how to look them up on KOTR!

Maisan, near Jinan, boasts two main crags, listed on KOTR as Maisan and Opera House (or search under parks: Maisan).

The crags are listed under Mun Bawi and Soksal Bawi for Seonunsan (or search by the park). There's another rock, "**** Rock", across from Soksal that has some easy routes and additional functions.

For the Busan crags, check KOTR under Da Ryok Bong and Bu Chae Bawi. Both are in Geumjeongsan, but you can't search by this park.
Unread 03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Ground hugger

M&G When & Where

Thanks guys for getting this moving along.

English Teacher, Photographer & Aussie gone walkabout.
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Aggressive Sheep

location location...it's all about location...

i was talking about this issue with a few of you the other week and we seemed to come up with a plan that made sense.

kanhyon for spring M&G's and seonunsan for fall M&G's. here's why...

level of difficulties:
-let's assume that many of us are a little rusty after the winter. those that are in this category (maybe i'm the only one) will be climbing at a lower grade than last fall and want more options. the 10a and below options at seonunsan are really poor. i've never heard anyone say a positive thing about munbawi. always griping how dirty and loose the rock is. the "rock across from soksal" and other routes in the area has these grades, but have difficult or awkward starts. not the best for newbies. halmei bawi used to supplement seonunsan with easier climbs. kanhyon does have more/better options in the 10a and below range.
-since this is the beginning of the climbing season we may have more newbies wanting to get into the parks and try out rock climbing for the first time. several times i've seen them standing around not knowing what/where to climb. though in the past, the 'total newbie' count doesn't differ much between the two M&G's...so i guess this point doesn't count as much.

weather/sun:
-kanhyon faces south and in the cooler spring M&G months (march) sun is key! many people climb kanhyon in january because of this key ingredient.
-soksal and munbawi are in the shade after noon and despite being further south it is generally colder.

i didn't include other crags in this because we have this discussion twice a year...every year...and it always comes back to these two standby's. there are new potentials this year but it's getting a little late in the game to 'figure out' if they can become a reality. the camping ameneties are usually the deciding factor. it looks like they're losing the vote so this is moot.

with this said, no matter where we decide to go not everyone will be happy. there is no reason that the denied locations can't have a full on gathering at a different time. just remember to post your date/location a couple weeks in advance to give folks time to plan. i hope to see you all at many M&G's this season!!

cheers, happy climbing, and see you soon!
-rick
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:45 PM
tinker bell

I feel the use of your term "newbie" to be offensive and degrading ... just kidding. you make some very valid points Rick. And after analyzing the points you have made i fully agree Ganhyung may be the best choice for the Spring M&G.
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
verticalcult

Thanks Sonia for filling in some new-users with the info-access tips! Awesome job. Rick-meister, yeah you may well be right, hell you are right! We can organize a Round 2 and 3 M&G (as we have a few times actually, remember folks?) to hit the other areas with just as much punch. If we do M&G #1 at "the G" April 5-6th, then we could stage part the 2th at Maisan (or wherever) April 12-13th (because that date also seems good for many people), then we could really push the Spring Offensive with a round 3 at Musunsan April 19-20th etc etc etc Like the man said:
Quote:
just remember to post your date/location a couple weeks in advance to give folks time to plan
Mike! I'm only offended by the fact that after all these years I still climb worse than most "newbies"
I herein commit to bringing 3 ropes, 2 spare pairs of shoes, folding camp table, extra sleep mattress, extra bivvy sac, 2 folding chairs, extra harness, pancake fry-pans and cookers x 2, and at least 1 or 2 "newbies".
Unread 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Seorak Sender

Mike! I'm only offended by the fact that after all these years I still climb worse than most "newbies"

one things for sure you climb better then this newbie. i need to know a date for the m&g we are going to the field march 24 threw the 6th so if it is during that time i wont be able to go if it is not then i will and shall bring others with me, lets decide something. if not this weekend would anyone want to climb with me this weekend?? erics gone to sf training so i am all alone
Unread 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
peace

Halmae for Fri/Sun will definitely be missed. I did like Sept at Kanhyon for the swimming potential, but Rick's observations are noted. It would be a small change-- the whens but not the wheres. . .
Unread 03-19-2008, 07:59 AM
mastering the pull-up

I just wanted to throw this in there... Ganhyeon has been pretty crowded lately, on Saturdays as well as Sundays. I think because everyone else is thinking the same thing about the sun, there will continue to be a crowd until things warm up and the climbing clubs and schools start going other places. I know that S isn't as 'beginner-friendly' as G, but neither is having to wait for 12 people to top-rope a 5.9, then having some one gripe at you when you start climbing it on lead for a warm up because it's their climb for the day!
Unread 03-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Seorak Sender

valid point