Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Gear > Buy & Sell Gear

Unread 08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
peace

Climbing Books, DVDs, etc

As I mentioned in the thread about Rock Warrior's Way, my brother publishes climbing books and the Women of Climbing Calendar. As a distributor, he also distributes other titles and some DVDs. His website is http://www.sharpendbooks.com/

I am leaving for Korea Sunday. I am bringing back a few things for some folks, and this is a last chance reminder if you would like to order any English books, you can do so RIGHT now and save 30%(by saying you saw it here on KOTR), plus get free delivery to Korea, though you're responsible to hook up with me or pay postage in Korea. You can pay me in won when you get your stuff, or use your credit card through the website, but be sure to PM me and let my brother know on your order that you are KOTR and get your discount/free delivery. Since it's late, even if you order through the website, PM me so I will be sure to bring the books. Unfortunately, the 2007 calendars have not come (except for a few advance copies).

There are a few items not on the website yet that might interest KOTR folks. The CD audiobook (6 hours unabridged, read by the author) for The Rock Warrior's Way is available for retail $30. Long Dong Trad Climbs, by Matt Robertson (you almost have to buy it for the name) is a guidebook to Taiwan's 101 Finest Traditional Rock Climbing Routes, retail $28.

On the website of general interest is a guide for climbing in Northern Thailand, and a "comic book" beginners guide to climbing, Betty and the Silver Spider, written by Craig Luebben and illustrated by Jeremy Collins. It focuses on the basics, including equipment, terminology, (Western) gym etiquette, saftety, training etc. The Rock Warrior's Way, discussed on the Samurai thread: http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forum...a-samurai.html is also available.

Peace everyone and see you soon!
Unread 08-28-2006, 06:38 PM
verticalcult

more climbing must reads

Hey-ho, Just on the topic of literature for the climbing types I would like to just recommend a beaut little number I picked up recently. It's called "The Self-Coached Climber" by Dan Hague & Douglas Hunter. It is specifically a guide and study of climbing movement and movement practice exercises to boost your overall performance. It's great. For those of us who don't live conveniently close to gyms or have hectic lives which otherwise curtail our climbing time it is a Godsend. The authors go into great (not excessive) easily understood detail about both actual climbing and resistance training ideas. Believe it or not, you can get climbing benefits from non-climbing exercises, but they warn you aboout which are good which bad and which downright ugly. Cross training is also included, and they consider training for mountaineers and bigwall/ trad climbers not just gym-jock plastic pullers and single-pitch rock hero wannabes.
Also they explain how to determine your weakness and strengths and indicate exercises to develop each area in a fun, efficient and safe way. They include example programs for different levels of climbers (unlike a lot of training books these guys actually consider those of us who climb 5.7-5.10 in a serious and thoughtful manner) and a lot of photocopiable pages to help develop your own regimes and records. It also comes with a nifty little DVD to show you climbers actually doing the exercises they describe (prescribe), which really makes it easy to see what the are getting at. I can't offer discounts or free delivery unlike Skinsk, and I got my copy as a pre-release special from Stackpole Books. BUT it is available I believe now via Amazon.com. Anyhow check it out, it gets the shanja "double thumbs up", but I'm a gear freak and a bit dodgey, eh?