Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Upcoming Trips

Unread 03-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Seorak Sender

Help Planning for first trip to Korea

Hi everyone

My Girlfriend and I live in Singapore, and want to take a trip this summer for about 2 weeks to do rock climbing, hiking and so on and after some talk back and forth, plus some input from a Korean Colleague we have settled on going to Korea.
We are aiming at going the first two weeks of July, even though it might be a little hot, and we would probably aim for one week in Seoul and one in Seoraksan national park.

I've read some blog post by people climbing in these areas and it sounds amazing, but I was hoping you guys could help me prepare a bit. I saw on quite a few of these post, that the climbing was a mix of of both Trad and Sport, specifically it seemed it was necessary to place 2 - 3 cams during the pitches and the rest was bolted.
It is not that we can't climb trad, just we don't have any trad gear ourselves and are not overly keen on adding that expense right now. We would prefer just some nice long sport multi-pitches

So I was hoping someone could help me prepare on what gear we need to bring, currently we have something like

- 24 Quickdraws
- 1 x 70 m rope
- 1 x 50 m rope
- 2 x 120 cm sling
- 1 x 160 cm sling
- 1 x 60 cm sling

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help us
Unread 04-03-2019, 12:02 AM
Seorak Sender

That’s more than enough for any of the sport climbs. If y’all want to do trad, I’ll be there with a rack and a ton of slings etc. I move to Korea in June, haven’t climbed in a while but I’ve been to Korea before and know the Seoul area well
Unread 04-24-2019, 09:44 PM
peace

It depends a little on where you plan to go. It seems you want to do sport, so you can easily get by with one rope (bring the 70 meter-- as there's no 60 option) half the quickdraw and 3 slings (one of each) as sometimes the bolting here . . .