Today's Posts
Calendar
FAQ
Korea Links
Weather
Train Schedule
Korea Travel
Climbs by Province
Jeju-Do Jeollanam-Do Jeollabuk-Do Gyeongseongnam-Do Gyeongsangbuk-Do Chungcheongbuk-Do Chungcheongnam-Do Gyeonggi-Do Gangwon-Do Province
User Name Password
Calendar | Register | Lost Password?

Go Back   KOTR Forums > Climbing > Climbing Chat

Unread 05-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Currently a "Gyeongsonian"

KOTR's 1st Official "Initiative."

Yeongseo Pokpo, May 21st-May 23rd, will launch KOTR's "Initiatives" program. Dates are set and project list completed. We're sorry, but we are not asking for any further volunteers for this Initiative, read below for a complete explanation.

Weekend Projects:
  1. Rebolting and Replacement of the worst anchors and bolts.
  2. English Menus for the Minbak Owner
  3. Crag Cleanup Day
  4. Trail and Belay Station Improvements
  5. Possibly a variety of other smaller projects. Details will be listed in Trip report.

Ongoing LongTerm Projects:
  1. Rebolting and Replacement of all necessary anchors and bolts
  2. Installation of Environmentally friendly Toilet
  3. Installation of Trash Bins for proper removal of waste

DONATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

Each season, we will launch a small to large size KOTR sponsored "Initiative" around the Korean peninsula. This "Initiatives" program is a current work in progress for KOTR, but with the support of all of our members, friends and community, I don't believe it will be in this stage for very long.

The first step was to pick a location. We chose Yeongseo Pokpo for a variety of reasons. The crag itself is quite scenic and the climbing is considered by most a "destination crag," here in Korea. Yet, there are a few issues, ranging from small to large and short to long term projects. This site also provided us an opportunity to quickly organize a project in a joint effort with the local climbing club. If you'd like more specifics, please feel free to reply with questions.

Now, as for the Initiative...due to the size of the crag and the amount of people involved, already, we are NOT asking for any further volunteers. We are also asking that if you haven't made plans yet for that weekend, please select somewhere other then Yeongseo Pokpo. This is not an EXCLUSIVE club or something we will do regularly, but because this weekend involves rebolting...the climbing may be sparse at times, as well as quite dangerous. We are also doing a bit of work on the belay stations and possibly the trails, so if we have loads of tents and loads of people climbing, we will just be in each other's way. But, please feel free to make plans for the following weekend and let us know what you think of the changes.

We will be asking for donations, though. Currently, Alec has purchased all of the chains, bolts and hardware himself. It's quite a chunk of change. KOTR will be helping with the rebolting, as well as working on a variety of other issues (read more in the Initiatives section of the forums.) But, we'd also like to take care of the financial part of this Initiative....so I have listed our temporary Bank Account Information. We will accept any size donation. All donations will be listed in this thread. Please follow the directions below for making a donation.

Thank you, in advance, for everyone who is helping making this Initiatives Program a success, whether its swinging a hammer, translating menus or making a donation...it all makes a difference.

DONATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Please transfer money to the following Account

Bank Name: KEB
Account Number: 620 187059 005
Please add your name or ANONYMOUS to the CMS field, so we know how to list your donation.

All donations will be accepted and listed on this thread for a temporary record, until the paperwork for our Permanent Account is complete.

We promise to account for every won donated and spent. If you do not feel comfortable making donations, would rather volunteer or simply want to give it in person, please feel free to reply or send me a private message directly and I'll do my best to resolve your issue.

Thank you, everyone.
Bryan Hylenski
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Snow Leopard

Well done. I'm sure that the passion and eagerness that is going into the Initiatives program will ensure its success.

The KMPL is a firm supporter. I look forward to hearing about the results.

Good luck!
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Thank you Brad, for your deposit. Please see the Initiative Forums, for a complete list of donations.
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:00 PM

Thank you Sunny, for your deposit. Please see the Initiative Forums, for a complete list of donations and transparency of Initiative Expenses.
Unread 05-19-2010, 01:25 AM

Clarification

Just to clarify, I, nor any other member off KOTR is telling anyone they CAN'T come to Yeongseo Pokpo.

Because it is a small crag, not setup for meet and greet type numbers, we've tried to politely request those, WHO HAVE NOT YET, made plans, to look into some other options. If you already planned to come, then by all means come, we have no right or even want to infringe upon your holiday weekend. We just did not want people to think this was a Meet and Greet, or a request for volunteers.

The reasons are quite simple. Your climbing could be inhibited by rebolting, there will be many other climbers there, as well as a Korean Climbing club or two, so that may hinder your ability to climb, as well as multiple projects/improvements are being completed on the trails and belay stations.

KOTR Initiatives, is not exclusive. We're simplying trying to make sure everyone enjoys there holiday weekend, and explain the scenario. If you are passionate about helping and if we have offended you in any way, please feelo free to forward your concerns to me directly via email or PM.

Thanks again, for everyones help in launching this initiative. And again, we're sorry if we have offended anyone with this request. I hope you understand our reasons.