View Single Post
Unread 04-14-2006, 09:55 PM
peace

Yeah, webbing is that flat nylon stuff that slings (a sewn sling, for example is one of those nylon loops that is sewn together by industrial strength machines and threads) and daisy chains (the ones with the loops so you can adjust the length for clipping in). Cord is the stuff that looks like tin rope. Both webbing and chord come in different diameters with different strengths accordingly. Cord and rope are usually tied together with a double (or triple) fisherman's knot and webbing is best tied with an overhand threaded through in reverse. The lose ends after the knot is tied should be facing different directions.

BTW, firedawg mentions anchoring in when you're belaying (a good idea, especially if you're light). . . I keep my daisy girth-hitched "permanently" through my belay loop and often use it to tie myself to a tree or whatever.

As my partners know, I am in the habit of threading my grigri and saying out loud as I look at the pictures "ok, you're on the climber end; I'm the hand" or something like that. . . but I recently rigged (the 3rd of 5) simoul-raps with a grigri wrong, and my partner luckily caught it! An embarrassing situation (I don't often rap with a gri gri, the last time having been over 5 years previous) but it's always good to know your partners are looking out for you. Especially important when there is a language barrier.