View Single Post
Unread 12-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Snow Leopard

UN International Mountain Day

This is a bit late, but still worth while. December 11 is the United Nations's third International Mountain Day. The UN designated the day after declaring 2002 the Year of the Mountain. The point is to raise awareness of the great ecological importance of mountain ecosystems and to educate people how to maintain the delicate biodiversity of mountains. This is an important day for mountaineers - hikers, trekkers, climbers, of all schools of mountaineering - because we are the ones who generally cause the most direct damage to mountains. Fortunately, I think most of us around here are pretty wise and cautious about how we move in the mountains. We have to forever be aware of limiting our impact.
I was trying to get a seminar organized via my group, the Korean Mountaineering League, for December 10. I spoke to Eric a while back to invite him as a speaker at the seminar. After all organization was done, an open invitation to all KOTR members was going to be posted to join us at the seminar. With my organizers, I worked to get speakers, a venue, and funding. I even had Arirang TV interested in filming the event (that was easier though; one of my good friends is a writer for Heart to Heart). By the end of it, just early last week, we got two out of three - everything but funding. So, after much thought to fork out the cash myself, the seminar had to be cancelled.
Anyway, long story short, I hope everyone, with your love for the highlands, can find some way to observe the day. I will be doing a light hike in Gwang-ak-san with some friends, one of which is an authority on Korean shamanism, particularly in the field of mountain-worship. He will perform a little ritual for us and then it's off to Namaste in Dongdae-mun for some stellar Nepali grub and rum. I know it's late, but anyone wishing to join me and the crew are more than welcome. Otherwise, enjoy your day and remember how important the mountains are to everyone.
There is some more info on the KML website, the link to which is at the bottom of this page.
Happy Mountain Day!

Last edited by Hypoxic : 12-10-2006 at 11:45 AM. Reason: I suck at typing.