KOTR

Korea On The Rocks Forums (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Climbing Chat (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2011 Autumn Meet and Greet ride thread (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3087)

skinsk 09-16-2011 09:20 PM

2011 Autumn Meet and Greet ride thread

Want to go to the Meet and Greet but not sure how? Have a car or know the way and want to help out?

I'll be coming from Jeollabuk-do Friday (around 4) and can pick up along the way. Can do a train run from Ganhyeon Station in the PM. I am also happy to help newbies with logistics.

Need a ride? Post!
Have a ride? Post!
Need to know how to get here from there, post. .. maybe others are coming your way!

griddable 09-19-2011 12:33 AM

Coming from Seoul (northeastern area, to be specific), would love approach beta or travel buddies coming from the city :)

skinsk 09-19-2011 09:22 PM

There are direct trains from Cheongnyangni Station in Eastern Seoul-- there are 6 direct trains a day, that conveniently now leave exactly on the hour: AM 7,9 noon (12) and PM 3,7,8. . . They take from 1:05 to 1:20 and I believe cost W4,800.

It's worth buying your return trip ticket in advance as it is a holiday weekend-- the sooner the better! (And if you go up on a multi-pitch 3 hours before your train and miss it, for godsake don't whine about it later)

If you can snag a taxi from the station, great. . . but only if he'll bring you in the resort (not sure if they charge taxis admission costs). . . otherwise, it's a 20 minute or so (or so if you come in late and go to the campground, which is beyond the crag.

If you can arrive before the first Margarita has been poured or the first wine has been uncorked (say, sunset^^), give me a call a few minutes before your train gets in (number in profile) and I can do a pickup . . .

cantong 09-22-2011 11:39 AM

Anyone is coming from Ulsan area?

skinsk 09-26-2011 08:49 PM

I'll be heading up from Jeonju-- leaving about 4PM, so if you're on the way and need/want a ride. . . I should be passing the train station 'round 7:30ish. . .

jademarie 09-26-2011 10:13 PM

Any advice on the best way to get there from Samcheok, Gangwon-do?

I can get a bus to Wonju easily enough, where to from there?

Canadian Grizzly 09-27-2011 10:33 AM

You can get another bus across the street from the Wonju bus stn that will take you to Ganhyeon. Can't remember what # it is, but if you look in the KOTR Ganhyeon page you'll find it in the directions.

Les 09-27-2011 05:15 PM

If you'd like to join us on a drive from Seoul, send me a PM. Leaving EARLY sat morning. Hopefully beat the outgoing traffic. We've got 1 or 2 seats available... if you don't mind sharing with a few dogs. Leaving from SW seoul. Otherwise meet you out there!

jademarie 09-27-2011 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Grizzly
You can get another bus across the street from the Wonju bus stn that will take you to Ganhyeon. Can't remember what # it is, but if you look in the KOTR Ganhyeon page you'll find it in the directions.

The directions are less than specific about the bus from Wonju

Bones 09-27-2011 09:14 PM

We're coming from Incheon. We're totally unsure of how to get out there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Canadian Grizzly 09-27-2011 10:11 PM

Jademarie,

It's bus #52. Exit the bus stn in Wonju and cross the 'big' street. Look for the bus #52 sign. Get on bus. I did it last year and wasn't hard. Will do it again on Saturday. Not sure what time I'll get to Wonju, but if you want I could find out and meet you there.

griddable 09-28-2011 12:21 AM

So, my friend and I will be coming Saturday on the noon train, so we will arrive at Ganhyeon station around 2pm. If anyone is interested in leaving from Cheongyangni at that time shoot me a PM. Would love a ride from the station, as neither of us have been to the park... but we can try to figure it out if necessary. It would be nice to have a map of the area so we know where everything is (in particular our campsite and the climbing areas)

Daum map centered on wonju station:
http://local.daum.net/map/index.jsp?...050&urlLevel=5

Also, there's some news about the station closing/being replaced by nearby Seowonju station. It's unclear when this is going to happen, but the source apparently says that it's supposed to happen sometime in September. So if you can't get to Ganhyeon station, try Seowonju instead.

jademarie 09-28-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Grizzly
Jademarie,

It's bus #52. Exit the bus stn in Wonju and cross the 'big' street. Look for the bus #52 sign. Get on bus. I did it last year and wasn't hard. Will do it again on Saturday. Not sure what time I'll get to Wonju, but if you want I could find out and meet you there.

Thanks!! I found a website that hinted at it being bus #52 but it's nice to have confirmation :lol:

I think I'm gonna be heading out Friday night as I relatively close this time!

skinsk 09-28-2011 08:39 PM

From Ganhyeon Station (where the bus leaves you) just head left through town (town is not much) and stay left under the rail-road tracks and you can see the resort. Follow the main road over river and you'll you can't miss the climbing. Follow the road all the way and you'll get to the campground. It's just across the last bridge. It keeps us a little secluded from the masses. Anyone who gets there early may want to warn Koreans that a lot of foreigners are coming.

Initials 09-28-2011 11:20 PM

We have a car and we will be at the campsite on Friday evening. If anyone's arriving by train on Friday evening, we can pick them up. Same for Saturday morning.

This is our first time to the campground so some info would be good. Is there a particular campsite we should look for? We have a tent, and we would like to put it up near the group.

Our phone #s are 010 8686 8275 or 010 7263 1156

Les 09-29-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinsk
From Ganhyeon Station (where the bus leaves you) just head left through town (town is not much) and stay left under the rail-road tracks and you can see the resort. Follow the main road over river and you'll you can't miss the climbing. Follow the road all the way and you'll get to the campground. It's just across the last bridge. It keeps us a little secluded from the masses. Anyone who gets there early may want to warn Koreans that a lot of foreigners are coming.

A note to clarify - As soon as you go under the tracks thru the tunnel, about 4 minutes after leaving Ganhyeon station, the resort will be thru the gates on your right. Once through the gates, follow THAT road all the way until you need to cross the wide river on a bridge. keep walking walking walking crossing over a few more bridges. The campsite is located where you can't possibly walk any further nor cross any more bridges. all in all about a 30 minute walk from the station to the campsite. Enjoy!

matt35 09-29-2011 09:46 PM

I am in the Gunsan area and need help on how to get up there. I will not have a long weekend so I will have to hop out early on a train or something sunday about mid-day any help would be much appreciated.

skinsk 09-29-2011 10:45 PM

Matt--when do you get off work Friday?

matt35 09-29-2011 10:52 PM

I get off work at 4pm-ish. Shouldn't be too much after 4.

engel 09-30-2011 12:45 AM

I'm coming from Mokpo in Jeollanam-do,what is the best way to get to Wonju? Would really appreciate info.Thanx!

Confuscious 09-30-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griddable
It would be nice to have a map of the area so we know where everything is (in particular our campsite and the climbing areas)

Daum map centered on wonju station:
http://local.daum.net/map/index.jsp?...050&urlLevel=5

Also, there's some news about the station closing/being replaced by nearby Seowonju station. It's unclear when this is going to happen, but the source apparently says that it's supposed to happen sometime in September. So if you can't get to Ganhyeon station, try Seowonju instead.

yo yo

this what i managed to dig up. a map-ish of the ganhyeon area

http://www.koreaontherocks.com/user_...100c5d94ab.jpg

this helped me out a lot to see where i'm going. From wonju city to ganhyeon and walking to the crag.

wonju to ganhyeon - seems like bus 52 (to catch across from wonju train station?)

can someone correct me if i'm wrong on this?

Bencrow 09-30-2011 11:43 PM

I am getting mixed info on the bus in Wonju. I have read: catch bus #52 at the Fam-Mart bus stop next to Wonju train station (I am familiar with the stop as I live nearby Wonju). In this thread I have also read that you can catch bus #52 on the opposite side of the large street in front of the Wonju Express bus terminal (also familiar to me.)

A few Korean websites (featuring vague information in their English versions) suggest that bus #54 in Wonju also goes to Ganhyeon. (I don't feel this holds water, a few buses familiar to me in Wonju seemed to change course over the summer, so I am skeptical.)

BUT, anyways... I will be in Wonju tomorrow near the express bus terminal... I will check the #52 route there the best I can. I will report back, however I imagine the bulk of the people coming will figure it out on their own. Worst case scenario ask the driver with your Korean skills!