KOTR

Korea On The Rocks Forums (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Climbing Chat (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Meet and Greet FOOD thread! (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2933)

skinsk 03-30-2011 11:36 PM

Meet and Greet FOOD thread!

While it would be hard to starve at Seonunsan (Jeollabuk-do is known for it's food, and Seonunsan is no exception), we've traditionally had a big social gathering Sat PM and breakfast Sun AM. When we started M&Gs, the gys on the bases helped us with a "South of the Border" themed burrito buffet (before Tesco, Costco and huge foreign food marts . . . these things were real treats!) and pancake breakfasts (banana walnut, blueberry. . .). . . but more recently (last year we had about 70 people) it got a little disorganized. As it's likely turnout won't be that big, it would be a great tradition to revive. It can also be problematic if people promise to bring something and don't show up!

Friday was a bit more of a pot-luck. I always do something vegetarian, with anyone RSVPing included, and I'll eat anything Danielle brings!

As Danielle suggested, pot-luck is good. Some organization for pot-lucking helps, so here's the "traditional" food thread. Korean custom is that group food is shared and it definitely makes it nicer. Those of us with cars/ice chests, Costco access and/or access to bases/big cities can generally bring more, while those packing it in from remote corners contribute financially, helping cook, etc.

People who are heading down Friday-- do you want to eat at a restaurant or bring pot-luck? Would folks be up for Mexican (loosely interpreted. . . we are in Asia!) Sat and pancake breakfast Sun (which doesn't mean you can't bring muffins or anything?)

We've had people commit on this thread to avoid 140 tortillas and no cheese.
Ideas, thoughts, commitments? I'll hold off and try to get anything that is not "taken" . . . I can also bring some stoves, pots and pans, etc.

nationalpickleday 03-31-2011 06:57 AM

I bring southwestern flavoured Hummous, and slow cooked black beans!

mdeek 03-31-2011 09:57 PM

Well after reading about your accident Danielle it is encouraging for me to at least try to get out, even if it's just to chill. I have meniscus surgery on Tuesday and will hopefully be able bear a pack and walking by Easter weekend.
If so, I will bring Chakalaka. ^ ^

skinsk 03-31-2011 10:33 PM

Come for Danielle's veggie delights, Matt. I'll bring your stuff down Thurs. . . if you can't bear a pack, then pack a beer.

So any food related comments:p

nationalpickleday 04-01-2011 12:00 AM

yes... always remember positivity pulls through any and all ****! meniscus - bah! coma and live your life. I'll carry your pack!!

obsessed 04-01-2011 02:55 PM

Well, for people who aren't vegetarian I have access to the commisary on camp casey... I can grab whatever meat is wanted. I'll also see if I can get uncle sam to donate to us a bunch of muffins to go with breakfast.

Canadian Grizzly 04-03-2011 07:52 PM

I like where your head's at Obsessed!

skinsk 04-05-2011 11:12 PM

Whatcha bringing Jake?!?!

Jason9909 04-06-2011 09:21 PM

I've seen some tortillas at Homeplus. I imagine they have chips similar to tortilla chips. And I also think I could put together something resembling a 7-layered dip.

I could do that or if it's easier, I could do the lazy thing and just throw in some cash. Whatever's easiest.

Jason

skinsk 04-06-2011 10:31 PM

I vote for 7 layer dip. . . even if you have to get down to 5 to do a vegetarian version. . . !!! cool beans (so to speak!)

I will do coffee for say, 10 Sunday.

If people can bring tomatoes/onions/garlic (and some chopping) I'll also bring the magic spice mix used at last Spring's meet and greet for salsa!

Jason-- if you bring the 7(5:lol: ) layer dip, chips and say, 15 tortillas, I bet we can find you a tent (but you'd need a sleeping bag/mat. . . purchases that will pay off for long time. . . however, depending on the content of the dip. . . tent space may be harder to come by:rolleyes8 )