KOTR

Korea On The Rocks Forums (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Climbing Chat (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   'international' climbing comp in busan (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1653)

dangerflower 09-09-2008 10:47 AM

'international' climbing comp in busan

the folks at seoul climbing center asked me to let all the weigookins know that there is a sports climbing competition down in busan the sept. 27/28th weekend. because it is an 'international' comp, they would really appreciate it if some foreigners show up so that it is not just korean climbers taking part.

the organizers will pay your transportation costs, as well as accommodation and food (provided, i think, but definitely covered nonetheless).

talk to your local gym about getting registered.

have fun!

dee

lkiehn 09-09-2008 01:22 PM

ahh crap my school is making me go to Dokdo that weekend!!

ricardo 09-09-2008 02:32 PM

thanks dee! the kunsan climbing club asked the same from me but i got distracted.
i was told it would be very easy for a korean speaker to find more information on the event on line.

Dong-il 09-10-2008 02:40 PM

Here's info for Busan Tre X-game!!!

I just got off a phone with my friend working for this game.
He says that the host organization of this game still needs a lot more foreigneers(seems that they need 30 more foreign competitors). No requirement needed (doesn't matter how well you climb), just fill out the form I attached with photo, and send at this address : [email protected] or [email protected] that's it!!!

Yes, the host org. will provides participants with two days acomodation including food and around 100,000 won for transportation expenses. Game stats Sat. 27th, so participants should get here no later than 7am on Sat.

I really hope/ strongly recommend that all KOTRers participate this international Tre-X game.

When you sign up for this game you'll get ID card, with the ID card you are able to watch any game competing during the Tre-X game in Busan (perhaps, can see famous world calss climbers too).

Any question ? just call me 011-595-3701. Hurry up!!!
Gee!! I can't attach application form, just let me know if you want to join this game I'll mail you the form.

nationalpickleday 09-10-2008 02:59 PM

hmm. sounds fun. why not, I am not much of a competitor, but it sounds like a good invitation to see more of the country!
Sign me up. I have no phone number, but you can email me! [email protected]
or skype me: nationalpickleday
Danielle.

Chickenlegs 09-10-2008 10:32 PM

Soooo, not so keen on comp climbing, but seriously? If they really want weigooks so bad that they will pay Kris and I money to drive our gas-sipping little Matiz to Busan, we may be game. Could be mighty interesting. :) Could you email me the form, please? jessiekyle17 at yahoo.com

nationalpickleday 09-11-2008 09:00 AM

I am coming down to Busan for the Tre-X games and I am hioping to arrive Late Friday night. If I search for a min-bak, it would be nice for all the other competitors to share the same one. We could all then proceed to the competition the next morning! Are there any suggestions of a min-bak that is close to the comp site? And, is there a map of where the gmes will take place?
Thanks.

Ps. (jessie?, I live in Jucheon, it is about 40 minutes from Wonju, esy to get there by bus)

Katz 09-11-2008 11:59 AM

I'll give it a try. I like competition.
send me the form please
and count me in for some minbak or camping action

Philipp 09-11-2008 02:12 PM

hi,

that sounds great, hope its not to late to sign up for!

could u send me the form 2?

it is r_philipp

thanks,

Philipp

Dong-il 09-11-2008 03:22 PM

No need to find place to stay!!! The host organization will provide you guys with hotel and meal. I myself supposed to be a volunteer during the game, so I'll meet you there!! Don't worry. Keep my cell phone number just in case.

skinsk 09-15-2008 08:58 AM

just a warning

When you post your e-mail to a forum like this, it can be picked up by all sorts of nasty spamming robots (I learned this from Rick and Eric, I think, who know a lot about computers!) . . . best to do it as me -at- hotmail.com or whatever. . . or just PM the person (i this case Dong-il).

heatherj22 09-16-2008 07:49 PM

hey i dunno if it's too late to join in on the fun, but dong-il, could you email me the form? heatherj22 at gmail dot com. thanks a bunch of bunches!

Dong-il 09-16-2008 10:05 PM

Still need more 외국인... I came across three new climbers from Canada & the U.S in Busan today and I told them about KOTR. They promised to jion both intl. comp and meet & greet. The organizer said they are willing to accept applicants till next Tues, I mean after meet & greet. Of course 100,000 won for transportation costs plus two days meal and accommodation will be provided for sure, no matter where you live how you well climb!!! Just join and enjoy!

Chickenlegs 09-17-2008 02:05 PM

Kris and I changed our minds about the comp. I just can't give up a weekend of possibly good early fall weather to climb on plastic. Sorry! We never filled out the form, but I didn't want anyone to be expecting us. Hope you guys have an awesome time!

Dong-il 09-23-2008 11:10 PM

Preparation for compo : shoes, harness, chalk bag, passport.
Getting to Hanwha Resort Haeundae
Just grab a cab from haeundae subway station or railway station it'll cost less than 3000KRW.

Schedule

Friday --- 26th September 2008
12:00-18:00 Arrival & Registration
19:00-20:00 Technical meeting of Officials
I'll be volunteering at Hanwha Resort and I'll take care of ID & accommodation for KOTRers, so no worry about late arrival.

*** Saturday --- 27th September 2008
08:00-08:30 competitors will be isolated from the competition area
: Menís Bouldering
09:40-11:30 Menís Bouldering Preliminary
11:40-12:00 competitors will be isolated from the competition area
: Womenís Bouldering
12:10-15:00 Womenís Bouldering Preliminary
14:40-15:00 Isolation - Menís Bouldering Semifinal
15:00-18:00 Menís Bouldering Semifinal
17:40-18:00 Isolation - Womenís Bouldering Semifinal
18:10-20:00 Womenís Bouldering Semifinal

*** Sunday --- 28th September 2008
08:40-09:00 Isolation - Womenís Bouldering Final
09:00-11:30 Womenís Bouldering Final
11:40-12:00 Isolation - Menís Bouldering Final
12:00-15:00 Menís Bouldering Final
15:30-18:30 Men and Women's Speed compo
19:00-20:00 Award Ceremony

Rules of game
Bouldering Preliminary : competing at 4 walls with 4~5 minutes break between each wall pushing other competitor to next wall. top 20 will be proceeding to semi final. Semi final will kick off as the same way as preliminary. Final will be performed by top 6 from semi final.

entry order man
1 남궁선 Nam gung sun korea Male
2 Foote goegory CANADA Male
3 김범준 Kim bum jun korea Male
4 Onda masayuki Japan Male
5 조규복 Cho kyu bok korea Male
6 Lee en chin TPE Male
7 장성민 Jang seong min korea Male
8 Hennessey christopher United kingdom Male
9 이정수 Lee jung su korea Male
10 Chandramma muninajappa praveen INDIA Male
11 이길준 Lee kil jun korea Male
12 Rapp Philipp Germany Male
13 오민하 Oh min ha korea Male
14 Dubowy Jonathan Andreas Germany Male
15 장용호 Jang yong ho korea Male
16 심설빈 Sim seol been korea Male
17 Yau ka chum hong kong china Male
18 신현표 Shin hyun pyo korea Male
19 Chang yeu shiang TPE Male
20 서성보 Seo sung bo korea Male
21 Lai chi wai hong kong china Male
22 정희섭 Jung hee sub korea Male
23 Allshorn jason United kingdom Male
24 장상실 Jang sang sil korea Male
25 Timmermars leslie john CANADA Male
26 김진화 kim jin hwa korea Male
27 Shivalinga mahadev INDIA Male
28 한정희 Han jung hee korea Male
29 Masatoshi SUGUTA Japan Male
30 김장혁 kim jang hyuk korea Male
31 Tzeng jiun jie TPE Male
32 김창덕 kim chang duck korea Male
33 OGATA Kazutoshi Japan Male
34 김원준 kim wom jun korea Male
35 EGUCHI Kenta Japan Male
36 박지환 Park ji hwan korea Male
37 Momser richard USA Male
38 김원률 kim won ryul korea Male
39 MOGAKI Keita Japan Male
40 이동건 Lee dong gun korea Male
41 Bennett Clarence Stephen CANADA Male
42 김대엽 Kim dae yeob korea Male
43 Woodson dustin james USA Male

entry order women
1 이은정 Lee eun jung korea Female
2 Vopel christne angelique Canada Female
3 천수진 Cheon su jin korea Female
4 Anderson chantelie marie Canada Female
5 김영희 Kim young hee korea Female
6 Johnson heather usa Female
7 최현선 Choi hyun sun korea Female
8 진미경 Jin mi kyoung korea Female
9 Monsrna brandi usa Female
10 정희숙 Jung hee sook korea Female
11 임지원 Lim ji won korea Female
12 이명희 Lee myung hee korea Female
14 윤부순 Youn boo soon korea Female
15 Fifleld adrienne Canada Female
16 김구슬 Kim gu seul korea Female
17 Champany amanda lynn usa Female
18 남경연 Nam kyung youn korea Female
19 Macdonald daphne Canada Female
20 양은정   korea Female
21 Corace marissa usa Female
22 정민정 Jung min jung korea Female
23 Lee hung ying TPE Female
24 도은나 Doh eun na korea Female
25 Zalenski Katrina United States Female
26 송한나래 Song han na rai korea Female
27 Arsenault danial marie Aotearoa Canada Female
28 하민영 Ha min young korea Female
29 Li suet man hong kong china Female
30 김효정 kim hyo jung korea Female
31 MOGAKI megumi Japan Female
32 김인경 kim in kyoung korea Female
33 김여정 Kim yer jung korea Female
34 YAMAMOTO Jyuri Japan Female
35 오은자 O eun ja korea Female
36 Madoka TSUDA Japan Female
37 사 솔 Sa sol korea Female
38 woodson rebecca leanne USA Female

Room will be shared with two or three people.

PRIZE
BOULDERING men
1st Price US$2500 GOLD MEDAL
2nd Price US$1500 SILVER MEDAL
3rd Price US$1000 BRONZE MEDAL
4th Prize US $ 500
5th Prize US $ 400
6th Prize US $ 300
7th Prize US $ 200
8th Prize US $ 100
BOULDERING women as same as men

SPEED men
1st Price US$1000 GOLD MEDAL
2nd Price US$600 SILVER MEDAL
3rd Price US$500 BRONZE MEDAL
4th Prize US $ 400
5th Prize US $ 300
6th Prize US $ 200
7th Prize US $ 100
8th Prize US $ 100
SPEED women as same as men

nationalpickleday 09-24-2008 10:22 AM

Bus arrival in Busan, friday night

Hi Dong-Il. Daphne and I are going to be arriving at the Busan bus station at 11:40 on Friday night. We are taking the 7:50pm bus from Wonju after work. Should we take a cab to the hotel? Thank you.

cyphecks 09-25-2008 09:08 AM

Hi Dong-il, I'm curious about the male participant list. I sent you my application on Sunday evening (my name is Ethan Martin) but I don't see my name on the list. Is the participant list already full? I'm just wondering because I don't want to make the trip down to Busan if I won't be climbing. Thanks.

denaliwest 09-25-2008 01:21 PM

Hotel Name for Climbing Comp?!...

Hey,
Does anyone know the name of the hotel where we're staying for the climbing comp. in Busan? Not sure where to go except for Hyundai beach.
Thanks!

ROXcited 09-25-2008 02:25 PM

Hi all,

It's Brandi.

Dong-il, thanks for all the info, man, and the text and phone call.

I'll be able to make it down Friday night for sure. Hopefully will see most of you there!

ROXcited 09-25-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denaliwest
Hey,
Does anyone know the name of the hotel where we're staying for the climbing comp. in Busan? Not sure where to go except for Hyundai beach.
Thanks!

Hanwha Resort Haeundae?

Dong-il 09-25-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denaliwest
Hey,
Thanks!

Just grab a taxi from Haeundae subway or railway station.
It'll cost less than 3000KWR.

I'll be staying Hanwha resort where yuo guys stay all day tomorrow if having trouble getting to hotel just call me.

ricardo 09-25-2008 10:13 PM

i heard there's going to be quite the gathering at "thursday party" at Gwang alli (beach) tomorrow night. see you all there!!!

choss monkey 09-27-2008 11:14 PM

How's the comp going? I intended to stop by, but got distracted by real boulders. What will be going on Sunday? Is it worth checking out? Will anyone be selling a crash pad there? If mad rock is a sposor, as I assume they are, do they have stuff for sell?

choss monkey 09-27-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choss monkey
How's the comp going? I intended to stop by, but got distracted by real boulders. What will be going on Sunday? Is it worth checking out? Will anyone be selling a crash pad there? If mad rock is a sposor, as I assume they are, do they have stuff for sell?

Oh yeah boulering finals are Sunday. I may stop by.

Dong-il 09-28-2008 10:48 PM

Feeling not so good, because most of them left witiout saying thank you, except german guys, Jason and Masa they personally came to me and say thanks. I knew it'd turned out like this, 'cause I've been through a lot. I don't want to talk about cultural differences, but feel terrible!!! really!!!

ricardo 09-29-2008 12:22 AM

Dong-il, I thought I thanked you throughout the day but you have my most sincere apologies if I didn't. You did an absolute stellar job of recruiting and organizing the weygookin for the competition! I talked with several people about how the organizers should give you special thanks for all your hard work. I personally thank you for translating the rules, the logistics, and keeping us in queue!
To be honest, I really don't like the idea of competing with anyone but myself, but I had never been in a climbing competition before so I was curious about the experience. (I'm sorry I missed the bouldering part but was still sick and needed my sleep) I was surprised at how friendly the competitors were and I had a really good time. I'm not sure if I'll enter another competition again, but I'm grateful to have been a part of this international experience.
Thank you (again) for organizing the foreign participants. It may be cultural difference, or pure exhaustion at the end of the day, but rest assured everything you did was VERY much appreciated by everyone!
Hats off to Dong Il!!!

Katz 09-29-2008 10:15 AM

Dong-il I'm sorry you feel that way. I meant to say thank you but I did not make it to the comp on Sunday because of my neck and back injury. I headed home and pumped myself full of ibuprofen.
It was a really fun time and a very positive experience. It would not have been possible without you. What you did was the equivalent of herding cats. Thank you for your patience and guidance! I regret that I couldn't tell you this face to face.
Thanks again,
Kat

heatherj22 09-29-2008 02:40 PM

Dong-il, I'm most regretably sorry that you feel this way. I wish I had been more persistant at thanking you. I was so, so relieved to see you there Sunday morning. Thank you for talking me through the whole situation and keeping positive as well as just supporting me. It was nice to see a friendly face at that crazy morning hour. From the shoulder rub to looking at my ankle after the final problem, you have my deepest gratitude and appologies for not being more verbally appreciative.

Once more, thank you for everything!

skinsk 09-29-2008 04:10 PM

Heather! Congrats!! I heard you made it to the semis!! Nice job representing KOTR women!!! And I'm sure you looked fabulous!

punchy 09-29-2008 05:47 PM

dong-il, apologies for not giving you my personal thanks on sunday before i left. i wasn't feeling very well when i stumbled out of the bexco center to catch my train. as ric said, you did an amazing job with recruiting, organizing and translating so that all of us could enjoy a super fun weekend taking part in the competition. i had a great experience, both with the competition and with watching so many talented atheletes do what they do best. know that all the kotr members in attendance are very very thankful for the hard work you put in to make this past weekend possible for us. cheers to dong-il!