KOTR

Korea On The Rocks Forums (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/index.php)
-   KMPL - Korean Mountain Preservation League (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Clean-up Expedition To Nepal Summer 2009 (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1787)

shanja 12-13-2008 01:18 PM

Clean-up Expedition To Nepal Summer 2009

OK So Kyung Ah has given it the "double thumbs up", so here's the plan. A joint KOTR-KMPL clean-up expedition to Nepal for the summer 2009 season. This should fit well with weather and holiday availabilities for a few of us too.
Shawn will be there this Feb, so he might do some ground work to get a feel on things.:becky: I am sooooooo pumped about this plan, it will be awesome. If we pick a mountain that has technical sections we can divide the teams into those that will clean the lower/ easier/ safer areas and the dudes and dudettes that'll tackle the higher/ harder/ riskier slopes. With luck, the Nepalese might even waive our permit fees for this (low as they are). C'mon fellas and ladies, who's "in"?

jsp1001 12-14-2008 07:43 AM

I'd love to spend time on the rooftop of the world. Can you say more about what is involved? How long of a project? Are we basically picking up trash on the trail? Never having been there I dunno what is needed. Would there be time for just climbing/hiking?

Maybe one item on my bucket list will get ticked off sooner than later . . .

mil-mil 12-14-2008 07:58 AM

dates? gear? sounds like an amazing idea...

shanja 12-14-2008 02:00 PM

OK I'm gonna publicly name you guys. Joe Park, Mike Miller, Brandon Sherman, Kim Kyung Ah, Shawn Morrissey, Jake Preston.
These are the people who have called and e-mailed abut it already. Sorry no details are available yet. Shawn thinks 2009 Oct-Nov is a good date, I'm more inclined to try for Jun-Aug 2009 simply because that's when I have holiday time to go:o
Gear lists and such aren't avail yet...but think hiking, camping basic rope climbing and snow climbing as a start point.
If you are serious, you need to think also about insurance (travel) and also about vaccinations. Yes I hope there will be a few days at least at the start and end to explore K'du and so on. The hike in and exped itself (should it happen) would be a pretty amazing thing also...not just gruelling work!
YOU CAN HELP! - Research the clean-up expeditions from the past and look at possibe mountains in Nepal that are feasible (6000m and under, relatively easy). Then:

We can contact trek agencies in K'du via the net (search out reputable ones) and ask them about a cost estimate for providing a K'du to BC service (transport of our gear, permits, transport of trash out etc) and base it on say 15 people.
Please let me or Shawn know if you can help/ are interested. Thanks.

shanja 12-14-2008 08:14 PM

OK just a start point then. Here are 4 possible mountain areas we could aim at. They all have a general "trekking/ climbing schedule" of 20 days or less and are easily accessed. Now as I said our primary goal is rubbish removal, and a peak as a secondary bonus for those who wanted to take the chance. Look into these yourselves and see what you think.
1-Mera Peak (high traffic area so trash aplenty I guess) Khumbu Area
2-Island Peak
3-Pisang Peak
4-Lobuje East

Hypoxic 12-15-2008 06:25 PM

I have friends in Kathmandu, and one very close friend in particular, Balkrishna. He has a huge 5-story house where I always stay when I visit. He gives me an entire floor to myself, which is great so I can come and go as I please without having to disturb his family - especailly on nights when I hit up Freak Street for some tongba and stagger back in! :D Anyway, I think he'd allow our team to stay at his places during the stay in Kathmandu. He'll likely let us stay for free. On the return side, though, I believe it only proper to get our porter support from his company, Adventures Unlimited. He's a government registered company that has highly experienced porters and guides, some of them experienced on large expeditions to hills like Ama Dablam, Thamserku, Gangapurna, etc. One of his guides is a camp cook and a dear friend of mine, Dom Tamang. I always try to help Dom and help put his daughter through school, so this kind of thing would help him out a lot. Guiding and portering is the only work he does. So, if no one objects to my personal matters regarding porters, and is keen for possible free accomodation in Kathmandu, then let's try to hook things up via Balkrishna.

mil-mil 12-15-2008 08:34 PM

sounds good to me. I don't see any down side to this at all. Free stay is more then enough reason for me to hire said friends guides/porters. Especialy if one is using the money to put his kid threw school. I see only positive in this venture.

shanja 12-15-2008 11:11 PM

Goes without saying that it gets my double thumbs up. I'm just glad to make sure our money would be going to a local operator, and one we can trust. Tongba in freak street?! Now that's a good reason also. Thanks everyone we have about 7-8 people already pretty well interested/ sure to join in.
Help out by starting your thinking now (even if you eventually don't/ can't join) about:
Vaccinations and meds (natural or whatever) you'll need.
Clothing and gear (with some extras for end of exped "donations" to villages, porters etc.
Fitness training and first aid courses - be prepared.
Sponsorship options - if you have a contact at an appropriate company etc mention it and asap we'll get a formal exped promo thing out to help sell it.
Holiday times and leave.
Costs. We think it'll run to about 2,000,000won a head, but who knows.

nomadicmind 12-15-2008 11:38 PM

Freak street! Why didn't anyone say there was a freak street? It'll be like coming home. Now I'm really there.
I don't have a bucket list, but I do have a "Things Morgan Freeman has done" list. Did he ever go to Nepal?

ricardo 12-16-2008 06:58 PM

i'm lurking on this thread.

(that's my way of saying i'm interested without being too committed)