KOTR

Korea On The Rocks Forums (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Activities (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   bike training (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357)

ricardo 01-22-2006 09:57 PM

bike training

Has anyone seen these for sale in korea?

oh, I'm referring to the rollers, not the helmet. ;)

ok, I couldn't resist posting the last image but this one's better...

link
link to links

Any suggestions on models? Aluminum vs. PVC?

Eric 01-22-2006 10:31 PM

no i haven't but the next time im over at the good shop in daejeon, i'll look. that might be next tues or thurs.

are you a roadie, ricardo?

i've got my road bike here. unfortunately i left my legs back at home...

alex_bo 01-23-2006 07:44 AM

I have seen some Korean riders warming up on such trainer before a MTB race, so I guess you can buy those here in Korea.

Shagymb 01-23-2006 05:39 PM

Rick I am sure you can find one here. I will take a look in OSAN this week some time. As for sugestions it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you are going to be doing some indoor training I would look for one where you remove the front wheel and lock in. I don't think I have ever seen a PVC one but it may exist.

Mike

ricardo 01-23-2006 08:34 PM

Hey Eric, not really a roadie...don't have the hair for it. :rockon:
seriously, I mostly ride for transportation but back home that sometimes added up to 35 miles. I've never gone long distance but I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out if get (and stay) in shape. I ride a solid fork mtn. bike with fat slicks...so you might say I'm indecisive...or confused.

Mike, I'd prefer the rollers over the stands partially b/c of the balance training but mostly b/c I'll actually feel like I'm riding. Plus (let my eco-geek shine!) someday I hope to hook it up to a generator/power storage unit.
In my small search I found units with aluminum or PVC rollers. PVC is considerably cheaper so I'm skeptical of the life span.

Thanks for keeping your eye out for me!!
-Rick

Eric 01-23-2006 10:37 PM

i usually liked the rollers over a stationary trainer. rollers are more interesting because it requires your concentration where as a trainer is more monotonous.

one drawback about rollers, it's hard (or very, very tricky) to get out of the saddle for sprints or a leg stretch.

other than that, much more fun than trainers.

plus, as a bonus, you can still crash on rollers! definitely hit the living room floor a few times still clipped into my bike...

ricardo 01-24-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric
plus, as a bonus, you can still crash on rollers! definitely hit the living room floor a few times still clipped into my bike...

I've heard about that...I can imagine explaining an injury from a bike accident in my living room!!

skinsk 01-24-2006 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo
I've heard about that...I can imagine explaining an injury from a bike accident in my living room!!

Yeah. . . add that to "broke my wrist snowboarding in Korea" (ok, not in your living room) ouch. . .