KOTR

Korea On The Rocks Forums (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Tee Size and Colour Poll (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2073)

shanja 06-29-2009 04:34 PM

New Tee Size and Colour Poll

So with design almost wrapped up, get in and put your mark down for the size and colour(s) you'd like. We need real commitment from you dirtbag climbers to actually buy when you do so...or poor Matt will be out there broker than a broke thing selling hisself to repay the production costs:eek8: No, my friends, not a pretty thought is it?
The colours are not exact but from feedback we will try to match up what you've said you want with what the printers can supply. Hence the colours listed are a bit ambiguous...work with us on that, OK? Size according to your regular comfy size. We will try and make sure they match up as well as we can....but it's hard to guarantee everyone will find the sizes exactly right.
It will be possible to have multiple colours....so not everyone will have the same colour Tee, but we will limit the options here to 4 or 5 colours - you can select more than one colour (but please don't select more than 1 size unless you are buying more than one Tee in different sizes!).
So go on, have a look and tick off what's good for you (and urge others to do likewise!).

panicked_bear 06-29-2009 09:04 PM

I dont know how the sizing works, but Ill just do the same size as you Jake-o.

panicked_bear 07-02-2009 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok team. These are the final tee shirts.

Vote on your ideal colours and sizes and we can get this process underway! Please let me know if you want a tee shirt and we can get the pricing lists to you fine people!

jstarkweather 07-03-2009 03:34 PM

thanks for all the hard work put into the shirts!!! can't wait to where it

nationalpickleday 07-07-2009 01:23 PM

Is this the t-shirt that won best design Matt? hmmm...
I think there were some other amazing designs...
how about two design options?

panicked_bear 07-07-2009 01:36 PM

The only people that replied in earnest and with largest numbers said that they wanted a tee shirt with this design, and that it be kept nice and simple. If we want multiple designs, then we would need more people to commit to buying each tee shirt as there is a minimum order amount for the tees to be made.

This is a scenario where noone will be happy I think as everyone has different tastes. So far, there hasn't been enough interest put forward for anyone on this end to justify shouldering the initial shirt costs of the shirts.

Personally I prefer the designs on this shirt as it is a bit more on the "fun" side of climbing. There are way too many "serious" climber shirts out there, I reckon.

CharlesCullen23 07-07-2009 02:04 PM

I want a shirt, and you, how much for both?

panicked_bear 07-07-2009 03:14 PM

I will get the info on the tee prices up ASAP. As for me, I've been known to sell for a chunner ;)

TKells09 07-07-2009 04:33 PM

Ok can someone clue me in? What has escalator got to do with all this? I read one of the posts where someone was talking about a route being called "escalator". Where is it? Or is it just inferring the fact that our biggest goal is to climb higher? Help!

tyadams 07-07-2009 11:17 PM

escalator?

i've got to admit im a little disappointed with the design selection..it's a little funny but not really something to wear poudly representing the foreigner climbing community and the website. i hope there is at least some korean on the shirt somewhere, after all, it is KOREA on the rocks...otherwise it's just going to look like a typical run-of-the-mill ironic shirt bought from a regular store (no offense to the artist - its a nice shirt) i just don't think it represents kotr well

shanja 07-08-2009 12:36 AM

Yeah I know how everyone feels (my design choice didn't make the cut either), so maybe I can help out here by clarifying a few points (hopefully without offending anyone, or stepping on any toes), as Eric (founder of KOTR) and I did the 1st 2 lots of Tee designs, production and distribution. Not saying I know it all, but "I have been there (twice) and I've done that."

I really agree with Ty - It is KOREA on the rocks, and I'd like some Korean on the shirt myself. Funnily enough I've heard other KOTRers say something along the lines of "well I'm not into that ultra-nationalistic crap, so you can leave off any Korean flags or writing - we aren't Korean, we are international." Might sound weird, but all points are valid.

To make a run of shirts (of any one design) we need to order a minimum of 20. Less than half that number of folks have actually bothered to comment or vote - this makes it really hard and unfair on Matt (et. al.) to make a call on design or colour etc. It's not Matt's fault if the design isn't representative of what KOTRers really want, it's all our fault for not participating and voting/ submitting. Endless stalemates lead to no production...especially when it's amongst the passionate few (just like you who are actually reading this diatribe) who bothered to contribute (and no offense to you all, but we kinda need deadlines and the Tee thread was set up by Brandon back in May!)

Furthermore, and largely unthought of most, to get the printers to make the Tees (of any design) money for the entire run needs be paid upfront - WHO BY? YOU? MATT? It's a sad fact but both times in the past when people asked for shirts and swore black and blue that they'd buy the design shown, enough bailed at buy-time that Eric and I got stuck with a bunch of shirts no-one wanted but that WE had already had to pay for. No fun I assure you. Hence we put up polls (well Matt did) asking people to commit to buy (and pay upfront) and so very few people actually did.
This is the flip side of the best thing about KOTR - OUR OPEN SOCIETY: we have no fees, no president, no Lords or Queens (although Kev in drag is pretty close) and no one to dictate anything to us. And I think most if not all of us love it this way - I do! It just means that when decisions need be made or an idea followed through on that concerns more than just a few close buddies...well it gets really sloppy and looses steam. Not good, but not bad - just the way it is.

So even if you don't like a proposal, try and remember how hard it is for others to even try and make such things happen in KOTR. Be critical, by all means, but throw out some solutions and offers of help etc while you are at it. As it is, it looks increasingly as though there will be no Tees being made - unless we scribble our own designs with marker pens on a Tee we have hidden in the bottom of our closet. Again this isn't an attack on anyone, but a defense of Matt and those few who voted.

panicked_bear 07-08-2009 07:53 AM

Easy enough to get some korean on there. If you want something more representative of korea, I can replace the escalator dude on the back with a mini korean flag or something, no worries.

CharlesCullen23 07-08-2009 11:05 AM

Matt- Brandon,
If you make a shirt- I will buy it. If it has unicorns, rainbows, leprechauns, climbers, Andy striking yoga poses, korean print and purple- then I will love it. But if it doesn't I'll still buy it, and love it. Thank you and Brandon so much for pouring your time and stress into this- we really do appreciate it, even if we sometimes have a weird way of showing it!!

tyadams 07-08-2009 12:12 PM

shirt

ill buy a shirt no matter what's on it...i do hope something pertaining to korea ends up on it somewhere. AND i'd like to thank all those who have put so much effort into it!

panicked_bear 07-08-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesCullen23
Matt- Brandon,
If you make a shirt- I will buy it. If it has unicorns, rainbows, leprechauns, climbers, Andy striking yoga poses, korean print and purple- then I will love it. But if it doesn't I'll still buy it, and love it. Thank you and Brandon so much for pouring your time and stress into this- we really do appreciate it, even if we sometimes have a weird way of showing it!!

What if I make KOTR man-panties?

skinsk 07-09-2009 04:20 AM

ok. . .I voted. . . and I always buy 1 or 2 or 6. . . hey, they make wondeful gifts!! I like Charles' idea
Quote:

unicorns, rainbows, leprechauns, climbers, Andy striking yoga poses, korean print and purple-
except i am not sure who Andy is and if i want him doing yoga poses on my shirt. . . oh, and do you accept Euro? and can you include some kim (laver) or should I send you my Woori card and info?

mil-mil 07-09-2009 01:32 PM

how exactly does one of us KOTR expats get one of these shirts?

panicked_bear 07-09-2009 04:01 PM

Once we can secure enough interest, we will figure out how much the batch will cost per shirt, and then we will collect a pre-order payment from interested members. Once that occurs, the shirts will be made, and once made, will be distributed.

shanja 07-09-2009 04:37 PM

Hey Ex-pat KOTRers (ie those no longer within the ROK realm), fear not, if you want a new KOTR Tee, we'll get one to you asap (once made). So dear Sonia, Mike, Ricardo, Eric, Karen, Mae-lin, Yoon-ju, Joe et al, you can still get a tee.
Oh and how about one for Dave (he's just coming out of his coma and starting therapy soon - great present for him I think)...Just let us know your size and colour preferences. Then we'll get you a bank acct (except Dave and Eric and Karen who are exempt from payments - Eric and Karen are KOTR's founders and pay the KOTR web hosting out of their own pocket every year!)
Please be patient, we are all trying to amke this happen to the satisfaction of 'all'. Thanks everyone for your ideas and voting etc.

nomadicmind 07-14-2009 06:06 PM

Phew... sorry, been a bit awol lately. I just want to clarify something. Matt deserves 90% of the credit here. All I did was put up the first post. Props to Jake, as well, for his sensible verbal contributions and also for tracking down a good printer in the first place (props also to KA on that one). Matt, however, has gone beyond the pale with this one. Well done.

choss monkey 07-15-2009 07:17 PM

NICE CHOICE. i would have bought one of the others to support the effort but i honestly wouldn't have worn it. for some reason i have an aversion to wearing shirts with climbers on them. espescially while climbing, it's kind of like wearing a band shirt to see that band play. :)

i would like to order 1 small and 2 medium. i'm pretty sure 100 or 105 is medium. is U.S. small a 95?

CharlesCullen23 07-15-2009 08:26 PM

2 mediums please

dmclean 07-21-2009 05:10 PM

I don't quite know how to commit to buying a shirt but I would like one sized 95 please or like whatever is available.

P.S it would be helpful if my KOTR shirt can make my breakfast but I am not too picky.

skinsk 07-25-2009 03:50 AM

I'm committed, plus I'll pony up an extra buck for Dave. maybe someone military can get them to Ross and Becky and I can get it from them. . . and they can get it to Dave. Jake. . . that's a great idea!!

(As I am having difficulty accessing my Woori account remotely from here, we might work things out whereby I send you an equivalent package of ???? from Europe. . . unfortunately, no vegemite here, but I could assemble ???)

dan13 07-28-2009 03:25 AM

thats the shirt people chose? how does it represent climbing in korea? what's with the escalator? looks like something you could buy in itaewon...

mil-mil 08-31-2009 07:00 PM

do you think these will be done by the M&G? Jake i would love to get one if you could reserve one and bring it to where ever it is we end up meeting up.

shanja 08-31-2009 08:29 PM

See what we can do old boy...even if it's only a boot-leg, limited edition "just gimme a damned KOTR Tee of any design" type specialty run, I think we'll get it for you cats.

jstarkweather 09-01-2009 01:54 PM

i'll take a medium and a large in whatever color with whatever design...let me know when you need the money :)

Wes Harrison 09-07-2009 02:08 PM

I'll buy one. That's a definate. Medium or 100 or there abouts. Would be nice if it said something, even very small, in Korean so I can show off my reading skills back home, but no need to go pretending we're Korean, as someone said. It's all about balance, isn't it. Good work, men. Together - Everyone - Achieves - More! TEAM!

shanja 09-09-2009 01:47 PM

Hopefully we'll sort this out over the weekend mate, and no more voting...way too contraversial and divisive. We'll whip up a new design based on the suggestions, criticism, complaints and compliments of the past, and offer it "fait accompli" to buyers.

panicked_bear 09-09-2009 01:54 PM

As someone incredibly wise once put it: Mission Accomplished.

Wait, wise is the wrong word.

Eric 09-10-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanja
Hopefully we'll sort this out over the weekend mate, and no more voting...way too contraversial and divisive. We'll whip up a new design based on the suggestions, criticism, complaints and compliments of the past, and offer it "fait accompli" to buyers.

Do you want me to close this thread?

blaircullum 09-23-2009 09:29 AM

wondeing if these shirts are still going donw. new to korea but would love to jump in here and represent. i said for size 100? not sure what the means but seems like most are choosing that. I am a Large tho. hopefully ist the right size.

shanja 09-23-2009 11:26 AM

OK well the Johnny is this, Matt and I are trying to get this sorted out over the weekend...so if the manufacturing goes as fast as normal we should have the new Tees ready in 2 weeks. Given the logistical difficulties in pleasing everyone, and getting cash up front we are going with a cotton Tee this time and hopefully that'll be OK.

panicked_bear 09-23-2009 02:14 PM

UNfortunately the tee shirts are going to cost 300,000W each to cover the mental health bills, massage therapy, and bar tabs that Jake and I have accrued throughout this entire process.

shanja 10-11-2009 08:58 PM

So here's the deal.
The Tees are being made as we speak in the factory. If all goes well, we can pick them up Friday and have them at the M&G.:becky:
There are three colours, a black, a blue and a red....no they are not Earth colours exactly, but we had to choose from trhe options available (much more limited when we were only ordering 30).
THE COST is 15,000won a Tee. Don't even think of complaining about how you can buy a Tee for half that in Itaewan....just go and do it and keep quiet, else Matt is likely to take out all his stress in design and upfronting deposit monies etc by making you eat a Tee! Then I'll start on you.:rolleyes8
The design is new, no escalators, no macho dancer-sport climbers, BUT THERE IS KOREAN and a funky design thing.
The Tees are cotton and mono-coloured with a round neck and regualr sleeves.
IF AT ALL POSSIBLE COULD SOME/ ALL OF YOU SEND THE MONEY BEFORE THIS FRIDAY (or we'll be stuck paying the entire the 300,000won bill ourselves) THE 16th??

SEND TO:
Preston, Athol Jake (프레스톤 애톨 제이크 )
Nong-Hyup Bank (농협은행) 173636-56-103707

Make sure you say who you are (although I do get auto confirmation too) when you send the cash, as well as a confirmation of your size/ colour preference. THERE ARE ONLY 30 UP FOR GRABS, 5 already spoken for (Matt, Kyung Ah, Eric (founder), Karen (co-founder) and me).

IF THEY ALL SELL OUT, AND MORE REAL DEMAND IS APPARENT WE CAN ORDER A 2nd BATCH....BUT ONLY IF THERE IS ENOUGH FOR AN EXTRA 30!!!
If you are O/S (Mike and Rick) fret not, we can hold for you ex-pat members if you are still interested - shipping would be an extra 5,000won to Japan etc I think.

Thanks, hope you all had a great weekend.

shanja 10-13-2009 10:33 PM

Contrary to our fears all the shirts are sold already (well at least the 1st batch has all been 'bagged' or spoken for. Amazing. But if you missed out, fret not. A second batch will be ordered asap, probabaly the Monday after M&G and we'll get those out to you...make sure you see me or Matt and give us your size, colour and money and contact address etc at the M&G.
Sorry if you missed out, but we'll see you right soon enough, don't you worry about that Terrence my boy!:confused8 (It's a "Minder" reference....you know Arthur Daley, dodgy car salesman and minor shady crim....no? God I'm old and Commonwealth:doh: ).

pjbyrne14 05-01-2010 11:33 AM

Put me down for at least one. I have to jump at anything that fits a 110.
:)

Donnaeko 11-19-2011 11:52 PM

What's with the escalator

tivs 12-12-2011 04:50 AM

can i order one from the states?