KOTR

Korea On The Rocks Forums (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Climbing Chat (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   December 9th Seoul, U.N. International Mountain Day Ceremony (http://www.koreaontherocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213)

shanja 11-27-2007 10:14 PM

Hey ho fellow dudes and dudettes all, I do believe that we will have an ice intro day at O2, but be aware the rock gym there is also pretty damned nice! Slab and crack practice routes, well worth checking out, as well as all the usual gymnastic plastic pulling stuff. Pebble wrestlers you know the boulderers playground is nearby too, so I don't mean to cut you out in any way shape or form at all. Rumour has it, a small get together might transpire Sat night at a Seoul KOTRers home...
I also believe we HAVE secured a bigger hall at the same venue (right Shawn?) so as the Koreans say "다다익산/ the more the merrier".
As Shawn has said it is a 1st time to try this evcent in Korea, so don't come expecting an equivalent of the Olympics Opening Ceremony, but rather a warm, friendly gathering of like minded people. We want it to grow every-year, so input afterwards too would be appreciated. The key point though is let's keep our highlands sacred and enjoy them in such a way that generations to come will say of us:
"Yeah this is sweet, these hills rock! And all because those dudes ands dudettes back in the early 21st century gave a toss. Cool."

mil-mil 11-27-2007 11:36 PM

well put jake. i most say you have been getting more poetic with your posting latley

Hypoxic 11-28-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanja
Hey ho fellow dudes and dudettes all, I do believe that we will have an ice intro day at O2, but be aware the rock gym there is also pretty damned nice! Slab and crack practice routes, well worth checking out, as well as all the usual gymnastic plastic pulling stuff. Pebble wrestlers you know the boulderers playground is nearby too, so I don't mean to cut you out in any way shape or form at all. Rumour has it, a small get together might transpire Sat night at a Seoul KOTRers home...
I also believe we HAVE secured a bigger hall at the same venue (right Shawn?) so as the Koreans say "다다익산/ the more the merrier".
As Shawn has said it is a 1st time to try this evcent in Korea, so don't come expecting an equivalent of the Olympics Opening Ceremony, but rather a warm, friendly gathering of like minded people. We want it to grow every-year, so input afterwards too would be appreciated. The key point though is let's keep our highlands sacred and enjoy them in such a way that generations to come will say of us:
"Yeah this is sweet, these hills rock! And all because those dudes ands dudettes back in the early 21st century gave a toss. Cool."

We have not yet secured a bigger room at the same venue. It's still in the works. However, we still have space left for the original room - a lovely little joga-jip, not far from Doseonsa.

So, come one, come all! We want as many people as possible to come, and remember, we who are organizing it are getting no benefit in any way from having more people. We're all volunteers for the spirit of conservation, culture, recreation, and enviro-friendly tourism. Like Jake said, it's a warm group of like-minded sentients, trying to get a grip on it all... and have a few beers while we're at it.

Hypoxic 12-05-2007 11:02 PM

Just a reminder for this Sunday.

I hope as many of you as possible can make it, to join us in fellowship and peace for our montane teachers. Since so many of you will be hanging out on Saturday at O2, please joins us Sunday for the event.

Hope to see everyone there!

How's the speech comin', Jake? ;)

mil-mil 12-06-2007 08:59 AM

sorry to be doing this but please remove my name off of the list. It's Kates last weekend here and we are looking at taking her skiing for the first time.

climbergrrl 12-06-2007 04:20 PM

hi y'all!

i truly pored over all the posts, so if the time is posted, i'll just feel like an idjut, but what time does this event start?

if it's in the evening, puh-leaz count me in!

(just wonderin' 'cuz i'm hopin' to do some granite pullin' in the afternoon before i go...:) )

cheers!
dee

shanja 12-06-2007 05:35 PM

Heidi mate here is what I know (Shawn can you edit this or update if anything is changed? You beauty!):

We have our venue, a small 초가집 near the lower eastern flanks of Samgaksan (Bukhansan NP). We will be near a significant temple, Doseonsa, so Professor Mason will do a tour there. After that we will walk down to the jo-ga jip and perform a traditional mountain worship ceremony at the outside shrine they have there. Anyone wanting to actually participate can certainly do so, otherwise observation is cool. We will then go inside and settle down for our speeches. We have the place all to our own for four hours so we can take our time with the speeches. Food will be served as well, traditional stuff. Booze, too. It seems it will break down like this:
Sunday, December 9
1:00 - 2:30: Doseonsa tour
2:30 - 2:40: walk to the jo-ga jip
2:40 - 3:20: mountain worship ceremony
3:25 - 7:00: speeches, food, booze, good conversations, mountain respect, fellowship, peace, good times.

I hope you can make it mate, as I'm getting a tad nervous about speaking in public in front of so many people...I'm just a shy and smelly climber! Friendly faces welcome!

Hypoxic 12-07-2007 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mil-mil
sorry to be doing this but please remove my name off of the list. It's Kates last weekend here and we are looking at taking her skiing for the first time.

Ah, that's too bad, man. I was looking forward to meeting you and having you join us. Next year, then. :)

Hypoxic 12-07-2007 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by climbergrrl
hi y'all!

i truly pored over all the posts, so if the time is posted, i'll just feel like an idjut, but what time does this event start?

if it's in the evening, puh-leaz count me in!

(just wonderin' 'cuz i'm hopin' to do some granite pullin' in the afternoon before i go...:) )

cheers!
dee

Well, as Jake pointed out, the tour itself starts at 1:00. We'd really like for you to join us, Heidi. Could I appeal to you and see if you could change your mind and get on some granite next weekend...?:o
I really think everyone here would enjoy the day. Jake is all set to blow us all away with his poetically tinged prowess of prose.:becky:

We'd really love for you to be there, Heidi.:)

Hypoxic 12-07-2007 01:11 AM

Latest Update for UNIMD

Well, gang, here's the latest update as of this afternoon.

No real changes to what Jake already just posted other than the venue. We've secured a different place instead of the joga-jip. It's a mountaineering academy not far from the joga-jip. It's a little larger than the joga-jip, not as rustic, but the food will be smaller. It doesn't have a sanshin shrine like the joga-jip, but never fear! The sanshin worship ceremony will be held at the sanshin-gak (mountain spirit shrine) at Doseonsa. This is actually a little more appropriate as the shrine at the joga-jip doesn't actually have any images of sanshin and isn't in a particularly auspicious place. Remember, we're not out to challenge anyone's religious views, this is simply a tradtional treatment of the mountains during such events. No one has to actually participate in the ceremony. It's all good. :) Another positive point of using the academy is the media coverage we'll receive from Mountain World Magazine, an editor of which has some connection with the academy.*
Also, the food at the new place will be cheaper - always a bonus.

A final note, for anyone joining us who is not too sure how to get to Doseonsa (where the day will begin), we will have a greeter at Suyu Station (line 4) ready to meet everyone at gate 8. The greeter is Ms Shin Min-kyoung, a very nice lady, fluent in English and a good speaker. If you wish to go this way, please be at Suyu Station, gate 8 by 12:30. Ms Shin will leave the station for Doseonsa at 12:40. Let me know if this is what you will do and I will pass Ms Shin's cell number on to you.

Time is winding down. I really hope you all can join us to pay respects and to help raise awareness to the mountains that give us all so much.

*We've secured other media as well, none of which will be in attendance unfortunately (other than the mag). I did an interview today for the Joong An Ilbo about the UNIMD. Gave KOTR a shameless plug.;)