PDA

View Full Version : Everest not the highest mountain in the world!

Eric
04-11-2007, 10:59 AM
There's another mountain 1.5 miles higher than Everest.

See how we overlooked this one...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9428163

ricardo
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain in the world! Measure from top to bottom and nothing (besides mauna Loa) can even come close. Never mind the portion that is underwater...

Eric
04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
That's only relief.

But which mountain's top is closest to the stars and furthest from the center of the Earth?

Mount Chimborazo

Hypoxic
04-17-2007, 09:14 AM
I've always found these arguments rather odd. We have always measured mountains by means of 'above sea level'. Some people are beginning to include prominence in the equation as well. But all of those, in my honest, quasi-expert opinion, are measurements of something completely different. When we begin to discuss altitude, Mona Kea and Chimborazo are not as high as Chomolungma.

shanja
04-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I wonder which mountain has the largest pile of trash on/ around it? Hyponix probably knows...but that sad fact is there are so many contenders!:eek8: :mad: I'm sure we all noticed how "nasty" even the lowly Halmaebawi is getting thesedays. I'm in for doing a KOTR clean-up of that place at least (any advice from KML dudes on how to run that kind of thing much appreciated- shameless plug again!:p ). But to get back on topic, Chomolongma is the highest mountain. The other contenders require such an absurd twisting of conventional meaning that they are ridiculous....still I like getting such useless trivia all the same.

ricardo
04-17-2007, 06:11 PM
My point was simply that the measure of 'tallest' depends on your arbitrary definition.

Hypoxic
04-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I wonder which mountain has the largest pile of trash on/ around it? Hyponix probably knows...but that sad fact is there are so many contenders!:eek8: :mad: I'm sure we all noticed how "nasty" even the lowly Halmaebawi is getting thesedays. I'm in for doing a KOTR clean-up of that place at least (any advice from KML dudes on how to run that kind of thing much appreciated- shameless plug again!:p ). But to get back on topic, Chomolongma is the highest mountain. The other contenders require such an absurd twisting of conventional meaning that they are ridiculous....still I like getting such useless trivia all the same.

I don't think I'd like to know the answer to that one...

I'm not sure where Halmaebawi is, but if it's in need of some work, let's talk. We can certainly do a joint cleanup between KOTR and the KML. Eric and I talked about this a long time ago, but it never got off the ground. We can make it work easily enough though.

And, to reiterate my stance: Chomolungma/Sagarmatha, by all methods of elevation measurements used in the past, and scientifically involving altitudnal climate change, is the highest mountain on Earth.

Anyone up for an expedition to Olympus Mons?