PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Retired Rope or Webbing

Karen
03-28-2007, 06:49 PM
OK, I have an idea.

If anyone is looking to be rid of some old rope, I'll pay for shipping to my house (if you're in Korea, that is). What I'd like to do with it is learn to make some Monkey Fist Knots (http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Monkeys_Fist.html) and give them as toys to some chained up dogs in Daejeon, or whenever we take trips through the countryside.

Also, my friend donated some cool toys from the US but the dogs that live chained on slightly sloped ground (http://www.lonelylifetime.com/gallery/v/toys/) lose them quickly, so I'd like to use some rope to secure them to their dog houses.

If you look around your neighbourhood or on the way to a climbing place I'm sure you'll find a bored, chained up "guard" dog somewhere that could use a toy of his own, but if you're lucky enough to live in a misery-free area, and happen to have something to get rid of that could be used for dog toys, please PM me because there are tons of chained up dogs near me.

Thank you!

ricardo
04-10-2007, 12:44 AM
I have 30m for you I'll have this weekend at the M&G...

skinsk
04-10-2007, 01:28 AM
that is one knot-- looks like it takes 30m of rope?! would be fun to try, though. . . it could be a contest. . . drink 2 beers or cocktails or glasses of wine and try to tie a monkey fist knot!

shanja
04-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I can give you a 50m old rope no problem also. Maybe I'll give it to Eric tonight at the gym?

Karen
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Ricardo, Shanja

Thanks so much guys!!! I can't wait to start tying knots! Yes, Eric will be at the gym tonight (and at the M&G, naturally). Let me know how much I owe yas.

And skinsk, have you gotten that car yet? If so, would you like to help me deliver some toys? (I guess on some rainy day). Or you could bus over here, Eric can web-out and you can drive the Pride!

Anyhow, thank you so much. :D :D :D

skinsk
04-10-2007, 10:35 PM
yes!! I got it. . .no legally registered but possession is 9/10ths. . . (soon to be registered). . . I plan to keep doggie/kitty treats there at all times and yes, this makes me very mobile! I know our scheds aren't so in sync. . . but as the days get longer, we might be able to go after work too, or mix it with some climbing, sightseeing, veg eating. . . oh, er, um. . have you tried to make that knot yet?!

Karen
04-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Skinsk, very cool about the car! Congrats! :high5:

Yes, it will be easy to find animals to help at any climbing spot anywhere. I always see them. There are several strays and at least two chained ones across the street from Halmaebawi. And I'll attach a couple pictures of the two chained huskies at Daegu's Yeongyeong. Very beautiful and very sad. Eric said he saw a big black pregnant dog, too, but I didn't see her.

So we just have to plan a climbing trip together!

(PS The little white Maltese in the picture above has been vetted and is going to move into her adoptive home soon (someone fell in love with her despite the dirt)! The only bad news is that she's heartworm positive.)

Karen
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Eric figured out how to make the Monkey Fist, but I still don't get it... :confused8 We have two knots made and ready to deliver to some bored, chained up dogs (along with some food from Nicole!)

Thanks again so much! More photos soon, after delivery!

skinsk
04-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Tell me he did it before the beer?! And Karen, there's a really post-worthy photo!!

Karen
04-24-2007, 08:29 PM
No, The Amazing Eric got it during (because of?) the beers, and I couldn't get it after half a beer. You know that WKRP episode where Johnny Fever gets drunk on air and his coordination actually improves... maybe that's Eric!

avenue
04-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Karen and Eric, you guys are doing some really amazing things for the lonely pups here...definitely earning some great karma chips! Kudos to you!! Let me know what else I can do to help out!

nic

ricardo
04-30-2007, 06:46 PM
You know that WKRP episode where Johnny Fever gets drunk on air and his coordination actually improves... maybe that's Eric!
ya know...i actually do remember that episode! eric, i have no doubt that you can feel the fever...please don't test that out climbing though.

shanja
05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
OK I have one more old rope I can donate soon...but I wanna try that drunken tie me up tie me down banana too...looks kinda kinky.

Karen
07-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to update you on the rope toys. Ricardo's rope got all used up on donated toys to chained up dogs, including the two Jindos near the climbing wall at Asan (see photos below).

8 toys from Shanja's rope were made at the Gap Cheon Monkey Fist Party '07! and were donated (along with a few others not made at the party) to the big dogs at the Daejeon dog shelter. The rest of Shanja's rope was used to strap a wheelbarrow to the top of my friends car to donate to the same dog shelter, and then the shelter manager who takes care of the 200 dogs really wanted it, so we donated it to her (photos below).

Thanks so much for your ropes! Woofs and licks from the pups, too :)

If you want to read more about the volunteer trip at the Daejeon shelter which happened on 7/7/7, please visit: http://www.lonelylifetime.com/news/korea/777-shelter-trip/

More photos of the dogs at the shelter are here:
http://www.lonelylifetime.com/photos/adoptable-animals/daejeon-animal-shelter/

Donations of food and blankets for winter are still welcome!

PS to Nicole,

The food you donated went roughly half to the dogs at Halmaebawi and half to Dusty, a chained dog near our (old) apartment. His farmer has given him a new doghouse under shady fruit trees since these photos were taken last year. I didn't get new ones, sorry: http://www.lonelylifetime.com/gallery/v/Dusty/

Dusty thanks you, bigtime!!!

skinsk
07-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Karen, the dogs of Korea miss you already:(