PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a decent mummy bag?

avenue
03-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I need to buy a sleeping bag, but I'm having trouble finding them. I live in Seoul, and I'd like to find a 3-season down mummy bag. Ideally, I'd like to have a couple to compare--get in and see how they feel. But at this point, I'm not sure if that is probable. I've tried looking in Dongdemun, but I walked around for hours and couldn't find any. Lots of the gear shops I see only have clothes and climbing equipment. Where can a girl find some camping stuff? Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated!

nicole

skinsk
03-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Should be right by the climbing shops (which as of last year were along the Chonggye stream, which made me think they were/are going to be priced out soon). . . some are in the interior, so follow the narrow aisles. I bought a down bag in Korea about 8 years ago and it's pretty good. Obviously, if you're buying here, your best deals will be local brands-- not uber cheap (like Chinese rip-offs) but decent quality. For foreign brands, order online and have it shipped to the military.
Sleeping bags are usually rated by degrees, rather than seasons, like tents. They are not so versatile, as in you need a summer and winter bag (I'm up to 2 each). Down is used for winter, as it is very warm and packs down well, but it's not easy to wash and you shouldn't get it wet. Synthetic winter bags are also available, but these tend to get clumpy with use, and don't pack down as well. You'll have to think how you'll use it, and really you only need down if you go winter camping! Then it's great. I have a 0 degree down and it's more than I've ever needed, inluding several days on Rainier, winter camping in Korea, etc. Still, for that down you have time. . . don't think you'll need it anymore in Korea for the season!

ricardo
03-05-2007, 12:01 AM
just a clarification on the "down vs. synthetic" discussion...

Down:
-Benefits: lightweight, packs small, superior warmth in dry conditions.
-Costs: loses significant warming ability when wet, cost

Synthetic:
-Benefits: will keep temp. rating when wet (rain, high humidity, snow cave, etc.), a little cheaper, non-allergenic
-Costs: will not pack down as small, not as light

Also, keep the temp. ratings in mind if you're colder/warmer than others in cold weather

avenue
03-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Right, I know the down v. synthetic pros and cons. I was looking for down because I have a synthetic back home but wanted something lighter weight and smaller. It turns out, though, work will keep me too busy to shop before I need the bag, so I'm having my bag sent from home. Ah, the glory of hogwons. *forces a smile*.....