PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Recipes

Karen
10-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I would really like to get some simple recipes -any culinary tradition- that are based on ingredients I can actually find here. All my recipe books involve too much time. I'm a horrible cook and rarely use our oven (yes, an oven!) but I did make one thing that turned out well. No oven needed.

APPLE BANANA SAUCE

Ingredients:
-4 or 5 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
-some bananas (oh, peel them too)

Optional Embellishments:
-raisins, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamin, honey

Procedure:
Put the apples in a pot with a couple tablespoons of water. Boil til soft then mash. Add the bananas and spices, etc. Serve warm. Very delicious.

Yeah, when I said simple, I meant simple. I could get slightly more complex than this. Please help.

shanja
10-02-2006, 09:37 AM
OK Karen seeing as how you loosened my tonhue with all that makoli last niht here's the recipe. It's from an Aussie Hare Krishna TV Chef called Kurma Dhasa, and though that sounds like a strange beginning he's quite a good sort, and his recipes work.
GOPALS FAMOUS VEGIE-NUT BURGERS
1 cup cooked sticky rice
1.5 bcups cooked brown lentils
0.5 cups shredded carrot
1.5 cups breadcrumbs
0.5 cups chunky peanut butter
2Tablespoons Soy sauce
1 Tablespoon seseme oil
2 teaspoons each dried basil and oregano (or whatever herbs you have)
0.5 cups fresh chopped parsley (I use a Korean plant called 참나물 similar)
1teaspoon salt
1teaspoon paprika (I use regular Korean Chilli powder)

Combine everything in big bowl, and knead well. If you aren't vegetarian you could add an egg or two to help bond the mix, as it can crumble a bit in cooking.
Make into small patties and either pan fry gently, or bake in an oven at 200C (400F) until darkish brown and a bit dry (8-10mins).
serve on hamburger rolls with lettuce, tomato etc

Karen
10-02-2006, 10:02 AM
YUM! I loved those burgers at the meet & greet. Can't wait to try them myself!!!! I actually have some paprika and lentils I brought from Canada. If I run out, where can I get lentils in Daejeon? Oh, my lentils are orange. Will they work the same? And oh, is "tonhue" Australian for "tongue"? I really have to start studying.

Karen
02-10-2007, 10:20 AM
OK, I forgot to write this up after the party.

Yummy Avocado Dip (for about 15 people)

Blend the following:

3 avocados

1 packet of cream cheese

some garlic cloves (Eric won't tell me how many)

some salsa sauce (didn't measure)

a tomato

Now I'm getting foggy... one squeeze of a lemon, for sure. Some shredded cheddar?

Anyway, if it's sloppy-looking divide it into smaller portions, put the avocado pit into the centers and refridgerate for a couple hours.

That's it!

Karen
02-10-2007, 10:28 AM
I know there's a certain couple out there who make very delicious yu-bu cho-bab. I wonder how I could get them to post their recipe... :croc:

Naomi
02-10-2007, 02:37 PM
I'll tell you tonight Karen! Then maybe I will post the 유부초밥 recipe. It's "a piece of cake - 누워서떡먹기"!

shanja
02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Good morning fellow KOTRers...or is it? Feeling tired and flatter than a crushed pancake? Alpine starts making you edgy? Falling out of that slothful sack of iniquity you call "bed" a 5.14c move? Let's face it, you just don't have the energy, will or "spunk" to even open your lead lined baby blues do you. I know, I know, I know. Self loathing, listless recriminations and mental self flagellation (the actual act would be way too much like hard work) about your decrepit, lazy-arsed, low level-power bod'. Shame, shame, shame!
But don't depair! Help is at hand! Try this on for size, it'll do wonders for your everything!
1x 6-8 inch root of ginseng (raw) (인삼 뿌리)
6-9 Jujube prunes (대추)
About 300-400ml milk
Pinch of salt and a teaspoon or so of sugar/honey.
Wash and de-seed the ginseng and jujubes, chop it up a bit and bung the whole kit and kaboodle in a blender then blend for a minute or two. Hey presto, Bobs your uncle, viola! Drink and may the force be with you!

shanja
10-17-2007, 05:51 PM
OK gastromones and gluttons, here we have a genuinely drop dead piece of cake easy as pie recipe from our resident Woosong Uni Culinary Arts Dept. French Master Chef, "Franck Lemarchand" (ex-French Embassy Seoul). It's for riccotta cheese. Healthy, delicious and not otherwise readily available.
You need:
Saucepan
Cooking thermometer
Cheesecloth/ muslin etc
bit of string
Milk -1 litre
White /Apple vinegar (lemon juice is OK too) - 50mL
Salt (get sea salt or coarse salt like 꽃소금 not fine salt)
Simple :Gently heat the milk in a pan to 65C (makes a softer moist riccotta) or 75C (for a drier harder cheese).
When it gets to the right temp, remove from heat and add the vinegar stir in quickly and let cool for 5 minutes.
Strain off the curds (solids) by pouring it through the cheesecloth - do not throw away the whey (liquid).
You need to let it slowly drain for a few hours, I tie it up with a bit o' string and hang it dripping into a pan.
A few hours later it's done. Just unwrap it and keep it in the fridge, in an airtight container.
Complex:
Add 10% salt (by volumme to the whey (liquid) thereby making a "brine".
After the riccotta has been sitting 12 hours or more add it to the brine and marinade it there in the fridge for 5-7 days.
Remove the cheese and let it drip-dry again. It will be a bit saltier and firmer (though not drier).
Eat on bread, crackers, in a salad, on pizzas or whatever tickles your fancy. Bon appetit mon ami!

skinsk
10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
wow-- mmm-- so you made it?

french chef, eh? but isn't ricotta an italian cheese? is he from southern france?

i just might try it. . . or better yet, you could make some for me :becky: then i could make stuffed shells with my basil. . . assuming I could get shell pasta? . . .

wow. . . oh it's dinner time!

pass along my thanks for the tip!

is it easy to get cheesecloth here?

shanja
10-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah riccotta is Italian, and no, actually Franck is from Normandy region, in the North, but that's all as is, as it were. He's quite a decent bloke and knows his stuff. Yeah I made about 1kg (1litre milk yields about 250gm riccotta) and now it's in the brine, marinating. It's perfect for making spanikopita, ravioli or crumbling through a salad.
Cheesecloth is just a thin, porous linen or cotton material. Use whatever you can get that is similar and it should be fine.

Mandalynn
10-18-2007, 12:08 PM
NIce! I just inherited an oven from a departing teacher. I think I smell the lasagna cooking already!

avenue
04-08-2008, 05:41 PM
This is the recipe I used for those no-bake cookies at the meet & greet:

http://www.recipezaar.com/10794

shanja
04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey hungy climbers! Got no culinary skill? No money? No oven etc for fancy pants cooking? Fear not! Got two dead simple ideas that turn the mundane into something better. How easy? Bloody easy!
1-Bored with plain old mashed potatoes? Mix in a crumbled sheet or two of salted kim (laver), some chopped green olives and some chopped green onions. Healthy and yummy.
2-Sick to death of plain old rice? Ha! Just chop up some coriander (cilantro) and mix that into the rice with a splash of sweet thai chilli sauce and you could imagine yourself back at Tonsai in no time.

skinsk
10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
OK, so I wing it everytime. . . don't have all the ingredients? no worries! Improvise and substitute as you will! I do it differently every time!

Onions
Garlic
Ghee (OK, I generally use soybean oil!)
Lentils (rinse and soak a few hours to overnight)

spices:
curry powder, garam masala (a mix of indian spices, but widely available in Korea), cumin, turmeric, cardomom, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper (small amounts of terragon, cinnamon, clove, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, mustard). . . I often mix in advance and bring just enough with me. . .

Mince garlic and onions. . . smaller is better and saute in ghee or other oil.
Before they get brown, add lentils and a small amount of water. Stir in spices and add more water, cooking it down until the lentils are softer and it forms a stew rather than a watery bit.

If you're tired of rice to go with it, you can make "nan" by mixing flour (whole wheat organic is best:) ), a little olive oil and water, roll out and cook in a non-stick pan. A wine-bottle makes a good rolling pin! Add garlic if you like! Pumpkinseed oil is super yummy! Doubles as middle-easter flatbread or roll thinner and you have tortillas (thanks to Corey for the bread recipe!!)

lovelydeirdre
10-10-2008, 05:57 AM
My favorite easy meal:

Coarsely chop 3-4 different kinds of veggies, then either

1) eat them
2) steam them, then eat them
3) boil them, then eat them
4) marinate them in an oil-based dressing overnight, then eat them
5) pan fry them, then eat them, or
6) pan fry them, then add 1.5 eggs, scramble, then eat them

It can always make me happy.

shanja
05-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Pikelets ( mini pancakes)
1 cup Self Raining Flour (or a cup plain flour plus a small teaspoon baking powder - same word in Korean 베이킹파우더)
2tblspn sugar/ honey
Hald cup milk
1 tspn vinegar (it lightens the batter and adds "puff" not flavour)
1 egg
1 dsstspn melted butter
Mix all dry ingeds together, beat egg and then add with butter. Beat all well.
Mixture should be a thick pancake mix. Fry 4-6 inch patties in a pan over mediaum heat, turning when bubbles appear through. Top with sweet or savory spreads (butter and vegemite is awesome!).

Basic French Crepes
1 heaped cup plain flour
1/4 tspn salt
3 beaten eggs
1 & half cups milk
1 dsstspn melted butter
1 dsstspn brandy (here in Korea use soju, baekseju, sansachun etc)

Put the flour in a LARGE mixing bowl.
Combine eggs and milk, then add to flour slowly mixing in well.
Mix in butter and brandy (the alcohol helps keep the batter light and thin...a crepe is not a pancake, it should be 2mm thick at most!)
Let this mix sit for a while (up to 2 hours...or use straight away it's OK).
Melt a small nob of butter in a teflon coated pan till it browns and then add a thin scoop of mix and quickly swirl it all over the pan...it will be thin! Cook only about 30 secs then turn and cook another 15secs or so.
You can use orage zest and a little juice in the mixture for a crepes suzette effect, and finely crushed almonds/ walnuts and so on are good too.

panicked_bear
06-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Quick Easy Cheap Breakfast Smoothie:

Put into the blender:
1 banana
1/2 cup of frozen strawberries
3/4 cup drinking yogurt (vary amount to change consistency)
2 raw eggs
handful of almonds (unsalted)

Press blend.
Drink.

Deeeeelish!

Note: Eating raw eggs does not make you sick. The only way that you would get sick is if the chicken that laid the eggs was sick. I have one of these shakes every morning and have never gotten sick. If you are concerned about this however, merely do not refrigerate your eggs and smell the shells before you use them. If they smell foul, then the egg is no good (I do not refigerate my eggs, nor does 60% of the world's population).

yandy
06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Banana-Chocolate Taste Sensation

1 Banana
1 Chocolate Bar (Mars bar/snickers work best.)
Tin foil

Slice up the banana and the chocolate bar. Lay the slices alternately on the tin foil and wrap up nice and tight. Throw on the fire or barbecue. Cook for a few minutes. Enjoy.

captainettegreen
06-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Curried Tofu--dericious!

I just made this the other day from ingredients found at my local grocery store and rural e-mart! It was super yummy.

Ingredients:
2 Tbs. cooking oil (I used olive)
1 package of tofu
Salt and pepper to taste (I used soy sauce too)
1 Tbs butter
1 small onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 can of coconut milk (~14 oz)
2 Tbs of curry powder
any other veggies you want! (peas and spinach were good in mine--cauliflower and carrots would have been a great touch...maybe baby corn, mmmmm)

Cube the tofu into bite sized pieces. Saute over medium heat in olive oil with a dusting of salt for about 15 minutes or until all sides are browned. Set aside

Cut up onions and garlic however you want (I cut up the onion apple style, and minced the garlic). Melt butter in a sauce pan. Throw in the onions and garlic, cook until tender ~7 mins (add in other hardy veggies after the onions and garlic have started to sweat if you want em!!). Add can of coconut milk, curry, salt and pepper. Add cooked tofu. Let simmer for about 15 mins.

Pour over rice or noodles or eat alone. Good as leftovers too!

I bet chicken or shrimp would work pretty great in this recipe as well. enjoy.

shanja
07-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Satay Sauces
This is for those of you who love the Malaysian/ Indonesian yumminess that is satay. Actualy quite easy to whip up a good simple version. Use the sauce as a dip, as a marinade (tofu, chicken, pork etc), or whatever.

1 cup Peanut butter (crunchy is better).
1/2 tspn Fish sauce.
2 tblspn Thai sweet chilli sauce (or Korean chilli paste with a bit of sugar)
1/2 Lime (or lemon) juice.
Chopped coriiander (cilantro) - optional.
Minced garlic - optional.
Tumeric powder - optional
Minced ginger - optional.

Simply mix all together, and adjust according to taste. If you like it spicier add more chilli sauce and a bit of ginger and garlic...but becareful not to get it too sweet.
If you like it creamy as a base for fish stews etc, then you can add some coconut milk too.
I like to chop 2cm cubes of chicken tofu, par-boiled carrot, seet potato etc and skewer them (oil the skewers first so they don't stick!). Marinate them a whiles and then grill over a fire (not too hot) and then dip them in extra satay, or wrap them in lettuce & sesame leaves etc.

skinsk
08-24-2009, 04:17 AM
I've done these assembly line with KOTRers. . . but here's a quick easy recipe for flatbread that I learned from KOTRer Corey. It works as tortillas, Middle-Eastern flatbread, Nan. . . and it's ideal for korea/camping as you make it [email protected]

Mix flour (whole wheat is what I use), a little olive oil and water and knead until you get a doughy consistancy that doesn't stick. Roll out (a wine bottle works well. . . full or empty) and cook over a stove . . . turn when necessary. You can play with the recipe and get more airy bread . . . flip it more and push on the "bubbles". . .