PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Shoes

JDKforCHRIST
08-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Anyone know of any climbing stores near Osan Air Base where I can purchase some climbing shoes? Also, what things should I be looking for when trying on climbing shoes (fit, quallity, etc.)?

skinsk
08-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Personal preferences vary and numerrous reviews are available on the internet. You'll probably be limited by what's available in your size at the first few stores you find (if you can wait a month, I'll be reunited with my Korean store directory:)) Try them on, read some reviews of the brands you find (major mags review new shoes at least once a year). . . sadly, by the time you break them in, it's too late to return them. For a beginner, no need for extra tight "high performers". It's really what fits your foot best. There will be some give, but your feet shouldn't be screaming at the store. You want them snug (on bare feet), without "pockets" of air when you have them fully on. If therre's a little demo wall, try them out, but don't rely too much on first impressions. It's always a bit of a guessing game with a new shoe. Do try on several sizes, as sizes vary. You might want to figure out your European size before you set off shopping. Smile, be polite, and ask for a discount (especially if you buy more than just shoes). . . most stores will automatically take a little off the MSRP.

I have been super-happy with the Mad-Rocks (the orange and velcro ones so popular in the ROK these days) over the last 1.5 years-- and I wear them every weekend on all types of rock. They've done fairly well in the rain, too!

From the base, you can also order online and have them sent out fairly cheaply, but that works better if you know what you want and how they fit.

JDKforCHRIST
08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the awesome advice Sonia. You rock! I can't wait to find some "Mad Rocks" kicks.