PDA

View Full Version : Geo Question: Please help!

high
08-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Hello, everyone, I'm new.

I have a question that I hope someone can answer and/or point me in the direction of an answer.

What are the mountains of Korea primarily composed of? Is there any source - books or websites - that focus on Korea's geological history, with some references to Korea's geological mountain history?

Thanks so much in advance!

Happy Hiking.

- high

skinsk
08-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Most of the rock in the major mountains (Pukhansan; Soraksan. . .) is granite, but there is limestone, gneiss, basalt, sedimentary, conglomerate etc throughout the country. When possible, I try to include rock type in posts. Hopefully this semester I'll have a class of natural science majors (didn't last sem) and once again offer a bonus point for IDing my samples:) I took geology 20 years ago to fulfill science requirements, but it wasn't my best subject. Maybe there's a geologist out there? (Sometimes I find this info on websites or books, sometimes in Korean or English, but offhand I don't know of a primary source for it in English.)

high
08-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Great! Thanks for the help.

skinsk
08-05-2006, 03:44 AM
http://www.korea.net/korea/kor_loca.asp?code=A0105

is a great overview of the geology (with some semi-specific info) of Korea. . . and it's written for the lay-person.

high
08-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Wonderful! Thanks!