PDA

View Full Version : I'm tech challenged

Ricky
03-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Can anyone help me out? My DVD player won't play my North American bought "24" series. Is there anything I can do to make it play? I've heard rumours about codes you must enter or chips you can buy, but how would I get the code?
Ricardo...I know you probably have an answer for me.

ricardo
03-21-2006, 06:03 PM
are you talking about your computer DVD? if so...and it's not a Mac, here you go...

WARNING: most DVD players have a limited number of region changes. once you hit your last one, your DVD will be locked in that region forever. of course this has been hacked by the uber geeks out there so nothing is forever, but that process requires someone mildly tech savvy to install the patch to make the DVD region free.

Process:
-right click start bar; choose "explore"
-expand "my computer" (click the + sign)
-right click your DVD drive; choose "properties"
-click the "hardware" tab; select DVD drive again; click "properties" button
-click the "DVD Region" tab; select "Canada" or "US" region (both are region-1); and click "OK"
I assume that is all that's needed but I didn't test beyond this step (didn't want to reset my region)

hope that helps!
-r

more info (http://www.multilingualbooks.com/dvdformatfaq.html#whyregion)

Eric
03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
if you're on a mac, you will be prompted to change those settings when you put your disk in. but it sounds like you have an external DVD player and I have no idea what you can do about those.

Ricky
03-21-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm a total idiot. Because basically after I wrote that post, I just googled international DVD codes and got a list of codes and how to hack your DVD player. The problem is that my DVD player is Korean, so I'm not sure the codes will work. But here's another question for you tech savvy.
If you set your player to..no region code, then do you have to have "no region code" DVD's. Or does that mean you can play all DVD's from all regions.

ricardo
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
if you set your player to "no region" then you will be able to watch DVD's from every region...but some DVD's are not readable on "no region" players. very few DVD's are coded this way according to the FAQ link above and i assume they would be limited to big money hollywood movies (just my guess).
some of the hack software (patch) out there will determine the DVD's region and automatically reset your player (unlimited changes) so you never have to worry about it. although, the not so fine print disclaimers state that the patch may render your player completely unusable...install at your risk.
in case anyone is concerned, all this is 100% legal.
good luck ricky!
-r