PDA

View Full Version : KOTR needs you and your mind power!

Eric
01-20-2006, 01:45 PM
KOTR needs a slogan. If you have a slogan that speaks to Korea and Climbing and KOTR, please post it here. It can funny/witty/serious/whatever...

eric

fracas46
01-20-2006, 02:24 PM
"ROK On".

Eric
01-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Not bad... nice play on ROK. good start!

skinsk
01-20-2006, 04:36 PM
I've always said, they don't call this place the ROK for nothing. What where why when is the slogan for?

Eric
01-20-2006, 05:17 PM
What where why when is the slogan for?It's a secret. If i told you I'd have to kill you... Sorry, KOTR policy. Im just following the rules... :p

ricardo
01-22-2006, 12:36 PM
KOTR: Super Power Happy Energy
KOTR: With Clean Nature
KOTR: Let's Well
KOTR: Your Well Being Body Habit
KOTR: Enjoy Your Fun
KOTR: FIGHTING!!
Criff Hangel
Digital Climbing
Bravo Your Life
Body By Soju
Lo Crux, Simple, Pleasure
Come For The Kim Chee, Stay For The Climbing
Just Climb It
or my personal favorite..."KOTR: Sending Bongs since 2004"

Eric... we forgot about slogans last night. . . this is the best we could do sober. . . . This is what you meant by slogans? (skinsk)

Eric
01-22-2006, 01:07 PM
i like these:
* Body By Soju
* Come For The Kim Chee, Stay For The Climbing
* KOTR: Sending Bongs since 2004

littledigits
02-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Pleez don't put any of that on the T-shirts. I want to wear them in public. Oh, and 100% cotton you can't beat. The poly mixes always look worse with age and the 100% only look better.:biggrin1:

rich
03-05-2006, 07:21 AM
take a picture of the Korean Flower (moo goon wa) on the front pocket (anterior, for medical types) and put the phrase KOTR on the top

back of the tee shirt (posterior, for non medical types) should have the inverted climber picture blown up & the caption should say Rock ON!

cool? or too whimpy?

DJP
03-14-2006, 04:11 AM
How about:

"Jamming fists when fingers won't do"

That could be the "extreme KOTR" tee-shirt.

shanja
03-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey dudes (and dudettes), just a possibly half-baked thought about the slogan thing...how would people feel about a T-shirt with actual "Korean" on it? Not only is such an article as rare as hens teeth (korean T's all have dodgey English, never Han-gul), it's totally likely to attract the attention of our host country climbers, clueing them into "who the hell we are", finally it might also help US learn a wee bit of the local vernacular...well here's a few ideas to think on:
1-Bi-lingual "mini-dictionary" (like 3-10 max!) of climbing terms (could be humorous/ serious/both), perhaps even accompanied by cartoon illustration to highlight the point. e.g. "Taking a whipper!", "On belay, climb on!", "Elvis Dance", "cranking hard" etc etc etc
2-Simple short bi-lingual "notice" saying who and what KOTR is.
3-Across the culture, across the crux - no problem! (In Korean and English)

I'd happily do all the translations here with some Korean climber mates if you think it's a goer...otherwise, toss the idea, that's cool too.

DJP
03-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I really like the idea of having Hangul on the shirt...

You just have to make sure you preserve the continuity of our word puns. From my experience, the language seems to be lost on sarcasm. (Granted, that is from very little experience; but lack of knowledge never stopped anyone else from subjecting me to their opinion... so I'm reserving the same right).

skinsk
03-14-2006, 11:03 PM
xcellent ideas, all. half-baked ideas are often the best ones, witness the ben and jerry's fro-yo of the same name. .

* Body By Soju
* Come For The Kim Chee, Stay For The Climbing *Across the culture, across the crux - no problem! might work as a translated slogan, something the Koreans would understand and appreciate (the humor in).

A mini dictionary or "crag tour" (listing all the posted areas, in Korean and English?) could go on the back, with the website.

Might actually become a hot commodity here-- save the design:)

I trust Jake with the Korean, but after that last post in the spelling thread, maybe Daniel should proof the English?

ricardo
03-14-2006, 11:14 PM
...how would people feel about a T-shirt with actual "Korean" on it? Not only is such an article as rare as hens teeth...
2-Simple short bi-lingual "notice" saying who and what KOTR is.
Shanja, I don't know much about hens teeth, but I think this is a great idea. my vote would be for #2 but I don't think it need be a bilingual notice. Hangul would inform the locals, but english speakers can just ask us.
looking forward to the shirts! will there be a selection of colors???
-r

Eric
03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
i really like these new ideas! especially the mini dictionary, notice and the list of crags. decisions decisions...

i wasnt planning on having a selection of colors as i dont want to end up with a bunch left over and be out a bunch of money. im thinking one color and a decent amount for each size. (having all the sizes available is the crux)

if you're inspired one way or the other why not post your 3-10 words to have translated OR the Notice that would appear. just english. we can translate later.

rich
03-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Eric,

Have you made a decision reguarding the tee shirt?

Eric
03-17-2006, 11:20 AM
not yet

Paulsv
03-21-2006, 12:13 PM
I vote for "Come for the Kim Chee, stay for the climbing.

Ricky
03-21-2006, 01:06 PM
I like " Across the culture, across the crux." That's way deep, man.:p

I like the idea of some Hanguel on it too. The definitions sound cool, but
#1 it will probably put the printing cost up. And
#2 It might just look ugly to have so much writing on it.

I like the flower idea on the "anterior", but my guess is that most of the dudes won't be diggin' that so much. I guess we want to portray ourselves as hardcore climbers. I don't know why, but a flower just doesn't convey that image so well.

As far as the design goes, why not have KOTR in gryscale on the sort of side abdomen region. Y'know like the Mamut shirts, or Volcom shirts. Well, I'm not sure how that would look. Just an idea to think about. Y'know the actual placement of the logo.

Anyway. I really hope this flies. I wanna get me a t-shirt. I really don't care what it says on it. I'll buy it anyway. Even if it does say "Jamming fists when fingers won't do" or whatever that dirty little bird wrote.;)

skinsk
03-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I sort of like the "across the culture, across the crux, no problem" if it translates well. (As long as it doesn't say "no pro" as some of my Korean climbing friends used to shorten "no problem") I'd still like to see the back like a comp T, with all the locations from KOTR (keeping printing costs down, all the crags in one park could be together: Daedunsan, Sununsan, Pukhansan. . . ) Koreans might recognize their "home" crag. The crags could be done only in Hangul (I'd be happy to double check the spellings!!). . . which might help us practice our spelling :) The website should be easy to read and in a place shy Koreans wouldn't mind staring at (maybe across the back, above the crag tour). . . I think the colors should be red and blue, like the Korean flag . . . if you used the yin/yang, "across the crux" around the top, "across the culture" around the bottom, "no problem" through the middle? underneath? Well there's my opinion, I guess!

On another note, assuming they are reasonably priced :) I will likely get one for my gym owner/trainer, and my friend Malcolm (whom I owe BIG TIME) . . . I think they would make wonderful gifts for the Korean climbers who drive you to all the crags, buy dinner, etc.

shanja
03-22-2006, 10:37 AM
I think Ricky's onto something there vis-a-vis logo placement...I think an asymmetrical design stands out more and looks way cooler.
What's wrong with flowers? The felt need to self -promote via "hardcore" macho symbols is a bit passe and juvenile (isn't it?). Like the E man said, it just needs to convey the sense of us being climbers and in Korea (but please not in pink!)
How about the korean flag, transmogrified with the central yin-yang thing graphics-ed into ice (blue) and rock (red), and the black stripey things actually being the names of crags etc (in Korean?).
Again just a thought...anything will be cool.
Eric, I'll try and give you a hand-drawn copy of what I mean...technology? What's that?

DJP
03-22-2006, 10:53 AM
I'd suggest a black shirt, with just the "O" (yin-yang w/ climber) from KOTR: Positioned on the chest, in it's original blue/red/white profiled man coloring. You can add 'Come for the Kimchee..." in one line just below the logo, and "Stay for the climbing" italicized as a second line. I imagine both in (relatively) small, white fonts; keeping the focus from the front on the logo. Also, less words will make the words you do use stand out more.

For the back, you could use all Hanguel... with "Across the culture, across the crux" arched 'arcoss' the should blades of the the shirt. Not a huge fan of the crag list, but I think it would look good with a map. You could put the outline of the peninsula just below below the arching font, and then label the outlined map with it's respective climbing areas. If you felit like getting fancy, you could lay a small flag in space that would appear beneath the peak of the arching font and the top of the country outline, or even perhaps use the bottom of the flag as the staight line the forms the northern border. (Or not, I'm thinking tiny flag under the arch, not as wide as the east-west borders of the outline.)

Also, I think the website url would look good printed going around the outside of the sleeves... just above whereever it cuts off.

The map would possibly drive up the cost... but I do think it's an improvement to just throwing a laundry list of bongs on the back. Besides, I'll likely be buying one regaurdless of what's on it or the cost... provided Eric doesn't use my avid support as a means of fiscal expoitation. But I trust the Heavy Weight Champ... even though he probably could peddle these off to us like we're junkies in need of crack rocks.

Oh, there's a slogan, "We need rocks more than your average junkie." :becky:
j/k.

... or whatever that dirty little bird wrote.;)

Definately the first time in my life I've been called a dirty bird. Is that a Canuck thing or a Ricky thing?

ricardo
03-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't have any grand ideas to add but I would like to second some of these...

As far as the design goes, why not have KOTR in gryscale on the sort of side abdomen region.
Also, I think the website url would look good printed going around the outside of the sleeves... just above whereever it cuts off.
How about the korean flag, transmogrified with the central yin-yang thing graphics-ed into ice (blue) and rock (red), and the black stripey things actually being the names of crags etc (in Korean?).

I really like this last idea. we could even divide the climbs based on the most representative i-ching symbol. fire = jeju crags; water = ice 'crags'; heaven = high/big crags; and earth = the classic crags (or possibly use the names of climbs instead of sites)
http://www.walkerstkd.com/images/kflagsym.gif

I disagree with the black shirt as that would get really hot in the sun and I'd be less likely to wear it. hot pink on the other hand...ok...nay on that color too.
and of course my favorite slogan is still "KOTR: Sending Bongs since 2004".

climbergrrl
03-22-2006, 12:44 PM
What a great thought to use the yin-yang symbol from the flag with ice for the blue part on top, and rock for the red half! You get my vote for that one! :cheer2:

Also, the idea of using crag names to represent the i-ching (whatever those are?:D ) symbols is also good. Deep thinking, Rick, deep thinking...:becky:

Keep the good ideas rolling, you guys! I can't wait till the shirts come out!

Peace,
Dee

Ricky
03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
(But please not in pink!)
Hey! What's wrong with pink? Pink is punk.How about the korean flag, transmogrified with the central yin-yang thing graphics-ed into ice (blue) and rock (red)
(I'm not sure I understand.)

and the black stripey things actually being the names of crags etc (in Korean?).
This is cool and I really like Ricardo's addition to this (Jeju = fire) (I don't know how to double quote, so please just see Ricardo's entry).

But how do you think Koreans would feel about us tampering with their flag?

Oh! And dirty bird....I don't really know where it comes from. I probably heard a similar expression somewhere and remebered it wrong and hence the term "Dirty Bird" was born.

Ricky
03-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Uhhh sorry. Apparently I don't know how to "quote" at all.

ricardo
03-22-2006, 07:06 PM
the i-ching (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching) is an ancient chinese text used for cosmology. the korean flag has 4 of the 8 main trigrams (64 total) with the taijitu/tai chi/yin yang/taeguk (korean) symbol within. interesting point about korean opinion of flag tampering...i think the climbers would dig it but we should ask around tomorrow.

to quote "this text" you would type [ quote ]this text[ /quote ] without any spaces inside the brackets ([]). there is also a button (next to the mountain image button) that you can use.
:becky:

skinsk
03-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Ricky,

1970s don't litter campaign with mascot, Woodsy the Owl:

Help Woodsy spread the word, never be a dirty bird.
In the city or in the wood, let's keep America looking good.

Ricky
03-23-2006, 09:55 AM
My lord, Skinsk!!! Is there anything you don't know or at least can't find out. You are just a wealth of info. That's very impressive. But I guess that means I'm using "dirty bird" the wrong context. Oh! But I forgot. I'm suppose to be talking about the T-shirt...

Well, I polled my Korean co-workers. They said the "tampering" of the flag would be cool, and they didn't think anyone would be offended. Mind you the Koreans I polled have all lived in the U.S. for extensive periods of time, and may be a little more open minded and perhaps slightly less patriotic than other Koreans. So. maybe you guys could do some polling of your own, eh?

anyung
03-25-2006, 01:53 PM
LOVED the 'come for kim chee, stay for climbing'

skinsk
04-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Any news on the shirts yet?

shanja
04-23-2006, 11:45 AM
I sent Eric a hand drawn pic with a few ideas again last week (actually used post office! I'm such a Luddite!) maybe he can scan it or something....? Anyways the KOTR logo around the cuffs was a superb suggestion previously, as was the assymmetrical layout concept, and the inclusion if posible of actual Korean type. I also liked the "sending Bongs since ..." but understand it mightn't swing for some...
"Korea of the rocks, life straight up".
Given that the Big E (Eric not Everest), is oft times tied up (kinky but true), I don't mind waiting...but too much debate and stuff on design etc might just slow the whole show down too (said the kettle to the pot:becky: )
Hope youse all had a groovy weekend...I found a great buildering sight at my uni.

Shagymb
04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Shanja,

If you or Eric send me(or see me at a craig like next weekend by Sonia's) the design, I will get a quote on the cost for that design and may even get one made to see how it looks. My shirt guy usually will do an example for me to see how it looks etc.

Talk at you later

Mike

shanja
04-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey that would be awesome as far as I can tell...I no longeer have a copy of the design as such, but the bigE might be able to pass it along...I'd change the Korean (and Chinese characters)on it around from 국외 to 외국. The English meaning changes very little if at all but, the Korean becomes more normalized. Really big thanks for offering to help out, whether the design (it was just a simple kindergarten crayon freehand after a few beers) is used or not. Champion. Sory I won't be able to make the clibing this weekend...several events here in dear old Daejeon that keep me.

rockboy
05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Shanja,

If you or Eric send me(or see me at a craig like next weekend by Sonia's) the ...............

Mike

Hey that's my name, how can they see you there? You ment crag i know.:) But actually my name is Scottish Gaelic: meaning a rock or crag so close enough:lol: I know lame post sorry:doh:

p.s middle names peter, from the Greek: a stone or rock! Is this why I climb?:rolleyes8

punisher
05-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Tee-Shirts anyone? What happened to that motivation? I'm waiting!