PDA

View Full Version : Jeonju University positions

skinsk
11-01-2005, 08:12 PM
At a staff meeting today we were encouraged to help fill several up-coming vacancies. The school will be advertising publically anytime, and I can get more details regarding the required documents, etc.

At any rate, it would be nice to have another climber (or two) in the office. An MA in any field is adequate. . . any experience in Korea is helpful. The semester begins in March (they might want you there late-Feb) and runs though mid-June. Fall is from Sept to mid-December. They may "require" you to do one camp, either summer or winter (3 weeks for W4million in addition to salary); there are 5 months between summer and winter break. 17 hrs maximum a week. Most foreign teachers have a 4 day work week, the majority having Friday off.

Let me know if you're interested and want more info about the office, classes, city, climbing near-by, whatever. . .

Ricky
11-03-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm interested. I only have a B.A. honours though, so maybe I'm unqualified for the job. I've been teaching in Korea since January at a Haegwon and my contract ends Jan. 20th. If you think I've got a shot I'll send my resume ect...

skinsk
11-03-2005, 09:03 PM
JJU really wants the MA. Possible exceptions for the Unis I've worked at have been: near completion of MA, degrees in TEFL or the like, several years in Korea and near fluency. . . usually a combination of these.

IF anyone out there does have an MA, with some teaching experience, and you are thinking about Jeonju, I do encourage you to apply. I can't complain (though I do sometimes, like having friggin Wednesday off), though. . . OK, maybe I whine to myself sometimes that it would be nice to have another climber in the office!

skinsk
11-17-2005, 11:58 PM
JJU has decided not to post the positions on Dave's or other sites. Applican't should fill out the application (it's in Korean!!) on their website: http://www.jeonju.ac.kr On the positive side, anyone with a Korean friend who can help them get to the application and submit it have a strong chance of getting hired. The position you'd be applying for is School of Liberal Arts professor (not at my hangeul computer but that's Kyoyanghakbu Kyosu). Of course, application can be filled out in English (it's just in Korean!)

anyung
11-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Will they accept TESOL certification? I only have a BFA, too. And I will hae finished one teaching year. What do you think? No good?

skinsk
11-21-2005, 05:05 PM
They have been hiring only MAs, however, 2 more teachers left, and the rest of us are worried because they are not advertising. (They expect foreign teachers to navigate their Korean website and put in an application.) I do not see that happening to fill 3-4 positions, so I will just suggest going and sending a CV and resume. I'm guessing most of us have this basically on file (you might include a photo) and it wouldn't hurt much to try. Play up any experience and certification. . . brianheldenbrand hotmail (Brian Heldenbrand) is an American, the pastor and the guy who hires. . . it'll probably be up to him, and at this point I am not sure how many people will apply or what their qualifications will be. . .

Eric
11-22-2005, 11:40 AM
sonia

unless you really dislike Brian, you shouldn't post his email like that. do something like brianheldenbrand at hotmail dot com. this will deter most spambots.

skinsk
11-23-2005, 10:22 AM
After much prodding from the teachers, they posted the positions:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=15931

e-mail me and I'll forward you the application in English-- one of my colleagues had it and it might make things much easier for you.