PDA

View Full Version : Making belay zones grand

shanja
04-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Just a thought...a bunch of KOTRers all hot an' sweaty swingin' tools and wearing singlets (wife-beaters)....levelling out a few less than stellar belay areas and maybe even adding the odd guard rail or retaining wall/ steps etc from discarded building site wood and old ropes. I've seen a few sport crags where the belay areas were a balancing act and/ or in poor repair. A bit of hard yakka and some landscaping would be an obvious and rewarding way to show we care about maintaining/ upgrading such crag facilities....and could be done in the evenings after climbers have deserted the area too. Even Ganhyeon left wall belay area has lots of loose rock and unstable footings that could be helped out...and al-bawi at Maisan is a monster! I have a few old ropes that are retired and would make great handrails etc and a few tools and carpentary/ fencing skills.

skinsk
04-22-2010, 06:09 PM
a good spade and some buckets to carry earth/rocks is useful for this. Around me there are lots of old pallets (it's a construction zone) that might even be used-- though lugging could be cumbersome. Anyway, I've been watching them burn all this scrap lumber and keep imagining ways to use it!

MisterP
04-23-2010, 12:32 AM
count me in for the work aspect. I am a hell of grunt (mindless and mule like).

bhylenski
04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Great idea, Jake....let's keep this thread open and start tallying a list of crags that need the work: Maybe add the following info:

Crag name (as shown on KOTR):
Specific Area/Location:
Problem Area/Work Needed:
Ideas for fixing up this area:
Possible suggestions for timeframe to work on it:

If we can add these here, once we come up with the issues and how to fix them, we'll move them to the Current Initiatives Thread and start doing a few of these.

I'd like to see about getting some signs or posts made up to add to an area after we fix them up, with our contact info and web address, so if local owners or climbers, need help with a project we can let them know we're available.

Great idea Jake, talk to you soon.
Bryan

shanja
04-25-2010, 01:16 PM
OK, well I'll try and talk to Bolt Rock Club and Jin-hyeok about the logistics and permissions needed for some landscaping etc at Ganhyeon...as well as the possible establishment of a garbage bin (hopper size) because at present the trash is all just stacked up against the side of the road and blows everywhere...maybe a simple chicken wired zone or something (if the area has recycling we could maybe establish seperate bins), but that would probably depend on the local councils waste management plans etc. I'll try and look into that asap.
Going from memory, if we had 12 healthy folks with some shoels, picks and a bit of nouce (and scrap timber etc) I think we could make amajor improvement to the Ganhyeon Belay are in a sinlge weekend. I'll need to measure up the area and map it a bit, but then it'd be a relatively straightforward bit of physical work. Having done a bit of this stuff in the past, and with the easy access of Ganhyeon to bringing in materials and people it would be a doable long weekend project (work being done largely after 4pm when the crowds are away).
Here in Daejeon we have a new small crag that is being developed, it's pretty chossy but I'll talk to the developers and see whether it'd be feasible to have a crag cleaning/ trail building kind of event there.

panicked_bear
04-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Im happy to lend a hand with whatever sort of help you folks require.