Ilsanbro
05-28-2008, 11:56 PM
what do you think?

Eric
05-29-2008, 12:17 AM
looks authentic to me...

jsp1001
05-29-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm organizing a rooftop bbq tomorrow for my branch. Main item? Cheeseburgers with, ahem, American beef. Tell them to have a candlelight vigil about that.

In the 70's, students here demonstrated against the dictatorial regime of Park Chung Hee; don't know how many people died. In the 80's, there was civil war in Gwangju due to Chun Doo Hwan; thousands of civilians killed. In 2008 we have nationwide candlelight vigils for what . . . North Korean concentration camps? Japanese colonial atrocities? Democracy? . . . no. The candles burn for the cause of political posturing which has cleverly harnessed the energy siphoned off of a sinister mixture of protectionist and xenophobic tendencies, all thinly disguised in this supposed "health concern": a one in a gazillion chance of Mad Cow Disease.

Damn, I'm shocked and disappointed in my terra mater. If you've ever wondered what's the difference between a Korean Korean and a 교포, it's issues like this baby.

Ilsanbro
05-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Yep, I am a bit more worried about all of the GMO's that come from the US and the amount of pesticides that we throw on the veggies!

However, I do worry about a possible situation. Here it is, your riding on a subway car. The man in control had a burger from McDonald's 10 years ago, has since gone vegan. Due to the 10 year incubation period of the ailment all of the sudden he goes crazy! He turns off the brakes, then he turns them on. All of the sudden he passes your stop, you end up at Dangoggae Station, AHAHAHHAHA!

jsp1001
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Dang Gogi! Every time I see that station name I tell myself there's poetry in there somewhere.

skinsk
05-29-2008, 05:39 PM
www.vegetariankorea.org

first thing when I get to boulder. . . efrain's for veggie enchiladas and margaritas!

shanja
05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Awww stop yer belly-aching...just go and safely eat your hearts (attack) full of good clean Aussie beef (Australia and our lil' sister island NZ are the only 100% BSE "Mad Cow Disease" Free areas in the world!).
BTW, I doubt that it's authentic a photo....lets face it neither of these clowns is cool enough to be on a bike....not even a 50cc "coffee-shop girl "bike, and though they are both prone to criminal acts, they don't have the nouce to hot-wire or steal anything either.

nomadicmind
05-30-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm disappointed that they didn't come up with some Korean equivalent to "Freedom Fries", though of course the matter isn't closed yet. I say, if you're going to get ridiculous, do it right.
For the record... cases of BSM in the United States to date (not counting the countless rumors of a case being found just yesterday, every day for the past week): 3.

Ilsanbro
05-30-2008, 06:18 PM
yep, 3. one was Canadian born and all of them were born before 1997. the date is important because they stopped using protein based(cow brains) food.

skinsk
05-30-2008, 07:08 PM
My $.02

no one is forcing anyone to eat anything. . . if people don't want to eat US Beef, they can eat 한우 or 호주우 (or whatever it's called). . . or 보신탕! That's at least local!

But I thought the photo was pretty funny. . . and quite possibly real!

shanja
05-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Apparently my mum made me eat sheep brains when I was a baby...is their Mad Sheep Disease too? I mean, that would be kinda scary...sheep are pretty silly as they are anyways...

skinsk
05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Apparently my mum made me eat sheep brains when I was a baby...is their Mad Sheep Disease too?

oh. . .so that explains. . .

Hypoxic
05-31-2008, 09:21 AM
The photo's real. I took it.

I think the underlining issue is that the beef being allowed into Korea will be beef that is considered too old for consumption. Nonetheless, mad cow is getting the headlines.

Personally, I think everyone should be eating good ol' Newfoundland moose. But then a market would have to be established and even in Newfoundland, a market for moose (the most prized animal flesh in the province) doesn't exist. It's all well controlled hunting. As we say in Newfoundland, "Gotta git me moose, b'y!" Where's the beef? Who cares? Moose tastes better.

You know, I met a mad cow once. That bovine was crazy.

In all seriousness though, maybe this will prompt more people to go free range organic.