PDA

View Full Version : Good beer??

JMK
04-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Does anyone know where one might get beer that's not the big US brands and isn't OB or Hite? English beer perhaps? There are many things the Korean culture does well... Beer is not one of them :( Suju yes but beer not so much... I think I may be putting myself out there as a bit of a lush. lol I need some variety that's all :D

Eric
04-09-2008, 06:28 AM
it depends on what you mean by good beer.

you can find Asahi and Sapporo at the larger convenient stores such as 7/11.

if that fails, i think your best bet is Costco, though the selection there is hit or miss. it probably depends in what city the Costco is in.

if you are in seoul, there must be other options but i never lived there.

one time i found a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout at Wal-Mart. that was a great day and it that kept me returning to Wal-Mart until they left korea in hopes another good beer would show up.... all in vein...

may your quest for good beer lead you to all corners of korea...

(and stay away from the stuff in plastic... i almost couldn't drink that stuff)

shanja
04-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Jeff mate you can get "decent" beer at most large supermarkets (E-Mart, Costco, Home-ever, Home Plus) now I think. Stuff like Guiness, Heineken, Leffe, Asahi, Tsingtao (yum!), and so on. I am yet to see an English or New Zealand beer...but occaisionally you also see XXXX (Australian) which is OK.
Other than that, there are quite a lot of beers available at the "WA Bar " chain beer bars. If you have a WA Bar near you that could scratch that itch (though all good beer costs in Korea). There are also a few micro-breweries about. In Daejeon we have three (Weizenhaus, Brauhaus and Pilzenhaus) I know of, and probably more. Google microbreweries in Korea and see what you get.

ricardo
04-09-2008, 06:17 PM
there are pubs in seoul and busan that sell a Canadian hoppy pale ale (maybe IPA) called 'Alley Cat'. i've seen it in 'mikes cabin' and 'rocky mountain tavern' in seoul and 'mo's' in busan. i'm sure you can get it else where but that's all i know for sure.
there is an english style brewpub in busan that i went to in '05, and i recently heard about one in Ulsan.
i think a website of good beer (akin to skinsk's veggy site) would go over so well in this country. until then, maybe we should just post 'good beer sitings' here.

mil-mil
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
ulsan has a microbrew with ipa amber and some dark stuff

Hypoxic
04-17-2008, 01:00 AM
The best option for brew these days in Seoul is the Big Rock Pub in Gangnam (near the station, gate 8, and up in the side streets). It's owned and operated by Big Rock Brewery from Alberta. Beer is great (especially the Traditional Ale and Honey Brown) and the food is quite good, too. Live music and you can bet hockey on the big screen when a game's on.

Check it out, eh. Or just take off, you hosers.

(a little explanatory video for those who don't quite get that last part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yiXRe6XFM&feature=related)

shanja
09-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey if you cats are getting sick of Korean beer or over-priced imports, why not try your hand at the gentle art of homebrewing? It's actually really easy (using concentrate cans), relatively cheap and fun. There is a guy (2 brothers actually up in Seoul) who import and sell the necessary gear. Their website (only in Korea-sorry, but get a Korean savvy friend to help out) is:
www.winekit.co.kr
Go down to the beer making stuff link (맥주 만들기), and open it up. The starters kit at 60,000won has all the bottles (15x1.5L), caps, fermenter bin, sterilizing powder and spoon, hyrdometer (tests the alcohol content and when it's ready to bottle) etc. You do still need to buy 1 can of beer concentrate (which includes the special yeast) at 30,000won. They taste great! India Pale Ale is awesome, and Blue Mountain Lager a real cracker. The Dockside Stout is a world gold medal winning mix and the Alaskan Dark Smoked Ale a rich and hearty brew. Need more advice, help etc? pm me, call me or go view KOTR founder Eric's homebrew page : www.beerlogged.com (Eric is a web-designer as well as a climber and all round champion).
Dubious still? Shame on you! Ask Brandon (nomadicmind) Kapo (Kapo), Joe Park (jsp1001), 윤주 (yoonster), 경아 (Naomi) or Lindsey (lkiehn) for their unpaid, unprejudiced testimonial!