PDA

View Full Version : Spring 2008 Meet and Greet Food Thread

shanja
03-07-2008, 12:51 PM
OK so here is where we can debate what menu plans we are gonna do, and who will bring what ingredients etc.
Traditionally it's been a Saturday night of Tex-Mex foods, but this has also always been supplemented by Sam-Gyeop-Sal, Thai curries and so on. Pot-luck also works fine and avoids disappointments when someone who was bringing a key ingredient bails (bales?). Think about preparing as much as you can at home beforehand. Peel those spuds, carrots, onions etc. Pre-chop your garlic and tomatoes. Shredd the cheese beforehand etc. It's a hassle doing this in the poor light and sanitation of a camp-ground - and it saves time and mess.

Oh if you have any killer allergies to something please post it here too. If you die of anaphalactic shock because of the peanut oil in someones satay supremo curry delight, when they didn't know anyone was allergic, your bad.

Finally buy (locally) a few proper rubbish bags (you know them, the old green "seu-re-gi-bong-tu" bags) for the clean ups. Split the costs of a 100L or 50L bag with friends. Try to avoid bringing glass bottles (plastic can be crushed down smaller and is not gonna get broken) and maybe we should have a "foods scraps bin" because the wash-up sink drains get soooooooo blocked and yukky with everyone tryig to wash away their crap. Paper plates mightn't be the greenest answer, but dirty plates could be burned maybe, cutting back on the land-fill and detergent in the water supply situation.

skinsk
03-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I will have one stove, one (vegetarian) grill, ice chest, random pots pans and utensils including can opener. I will make Thai curry/vegetarian for anyone who RSVPs Friday night-- when you RSVP we can work out what you can contribute towards the meal, including labor:) (Jenn's gone, so someone else might want to step up with Mai Tais?). . . Sunday I will make some lattes, skinny, soy and organic chai on request (BYODecaf coffee); anyone else have an espresso maker and/or milk frother? as there are limits to my ancient one-shot.

mil-mil
03-07-2008, 03:30 PM
i'll bring alcohol. 1 large bottle of tequila and margarita mix a few bottles of wine and if anyone has any requests post it here. please rememeber that alcohol weighs alot so dont get to excited and ask me to bring a bar with me in my back pack.

skinsk
03-09-2008, 08:34 PM
1 large bottle of tequila and margarita mix a few bottles of wine :becky:

I have some "plastic" glasses. . . and I'll get some ice for the margs!

heavyd
03-12-2008, 03:24 PM
How about Sangrias (spelling???) for the mexican night as well?? I know that they have big bottles of the wine mix at Costco... then we could mix it in a hollowed out watermelon and bunch of cut up fruit???

shanja
03-23-2008, 02:38 PM
OK I'll do the banana and walnut pancakes thing on Sunday breakfast. I have maple syrup already and will bring an alternative topping as well. If we wanna do the Tex-Mex thing I can go to costco and pick up the totillas and shredded cheese too. Kyung Ah will most likely not be coming (she has her Uni MT on 5/6th and exams on 12/13th) so the cuisine from my end will be poorer than usual. Fear not Colby, I'll bring some of that Kim Chi you liked though, and maybe even a good jji-gae (stew).

skinsk
03-23-2008, 03:15 PM
I have a (no-stick)pan, spatula and (post latte) stove for pancakes.

Mike, should I grab a lime for the Marg fixins'.

Chickenlegs
03-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Kris and I will bring another stove/pan/spatula/mixing bowl set for making pancakes... as long as some of them come out sans nuts! :)

ricardo
03-23-2008, 11:12 PM
jake, unless you've already stocked up, i can take care of the tortillas, shredded cheese, refried and black beans, jug-o-salsa, and sour cream. avacados too if someone wants to make guac on site. (donations accepted)
if there are any other items from base that you (anyone) want me to pick up, let me know and we can arrange a deal.

Chickenlegs
03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh, Kris and I can also bring some tomatoes for the burritos. If it was a couple weeks later I might even have been able to bring fresh cilantro! But alas, my herbs are still growing. :)

shanja
03-24-2008, 07:27 PM
OK Rickster, I'll leave that to you. I can get the pre-made guacamole from Costco if you like?
Jess mate, sans nuts? So you want me to stay away...oh, I see so that's how we stand then, OK:p Yeah mate no worries at all.
ANYONE WITH FOOD ALLERGIES (or such) PLEASE tell us who will be food supplying/ cooking. Anaphalactic shock and death by peanut/ yeast/ caffeine etc is just not cool at a M&G.:nono:
I will have a pan as well and the spatula etc. I personally don't eat breaky as a rule, but will at the M&G and volunteer to help with the Sunday breaky cooking.

heavyd
03-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I can get cilantro. There are a few places around Seoul that you can find it. I will pick up a couple bunches.

Is anyone interested in the Sangria idea, to go with the Mexican???

skinsk
03-24-2008, 09:49 PM
death by peanut/ yeast/ caffeine etc is just not cool good point jake, and i'll add to get a decent count, any other vegetarians? (I know you are.) pp or post anyone who wants in on veggie thai curry friday night

but will at the M&G and volunteer to help with the Sunday breaky cooking. looking to fill the apron of the world's strongest man, are we?

shanja
03-28-2008, 02:07 PM
OK So let's do what we normally do.
1-Tex-Mex joint effort Dinner on the Saturday night, and
2-Pancakes and esspresso coffees on Sunday morning.
So sign up for things you can/ will bring. Even if someone else has said they will, why not split it with them. There will be about 40 of us!

We will need people to bring the following (minimum!):
Tortillas
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Salsa
Guacamole - JAKE
Jalepano Chillis
Onions
Refried beans - JAKE (1 can)
Shredded Cheese
Minced (ground) meat (?)
Sour Cream

Pancake mix - JAKE
Walnut pieces - JAKE
Bananas/ Other fruit - JAKE
Maple Syrup etc - JAKE
Coffee grounds
Milks (a few types; soy, low-fat; super) - JAKE
Juices
Croissants/ Morning rolls

Frypans (preferabley non-stick Large x 4 or 5) - JAKE
Pots (medium (x 3 or 4)
Cutting Knives and cutting Boards ((x 3 or 4)
Serving/ Holding dishes (Large x 4 or 5)
Gas-Stoves (x 4 or 5) - JAKE
Plates, Bowls, Cups, Cutlery.
Can and Bottle Openers

Also welcome but not listed here:
Lunch foods
Desserts
Beverages
Cakes, pies, etc

climbhigher14k
03-28-2008, 05:06 PM
We will bring:

-About 5 tomatoes worth of diced tomatoes.
-a gas stove and fuel
-a frying pan and utensils (whisk, mixing bowl, spatula, etc)
-One knife and cutting board

-Lots of awesomeness...

Shagymb
03-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Jake,

Could we use the Poll thing to sign up for food to bring? you know look at the poll to see who is bringing what and then go back and vote for what you want to bring. Just an idea.

Later,

Mike

skinsk
03-28-2008, 07:18 PM
. . . that could get tiresome, but:

Tortillas
Tomatoes JK:5
Lettuce
Salsa
Guacamole - JAKE
Jalepano Chillis
Onions
Shredded Cheese (Sonia, small cheese grater)
Minced (ground) meat (?)
Sour Cream

Pancake mix - JAKE
Walnut pieces - JAKE
Maple Syrup etc - JAKE
Coffee grounds Sonia, enough for 10 or so
Juices

Frypans (preferabley non-stick Large x 4 or 5) - JAKE, Sonia:1
Pots (medium (x 3 or 4) Sonia: 2
Cutting Knives and cutting Boards ((x 3 or 4) JK: 1/1, Sonia:1/1
Serving/ Holding dishes (Large x 4 or 5) Sonia 1
Gas-Stoves (x 4 or 5) - JAKE , Sonia:1
Plates, Bowls, Cups, Cutlery. Sonia: about 6 bowls, 6 plates, cups, plasticware for 6?
Can and Bottle Openers Sonia: 1

heavyd
03-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Hello All,

Well I am good for:

- A bunch of cilantro
- chopped onions
- Sour cream
- big ol bag of marshmallows

t-minus one week... good times!!

Shagymb
03-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Hey All,

I have Tortillas (About 48) and Salsa bought.
I have margarita mix and will bring some limes also.

Later,

Mike

mil-mil
03-30-2008, 11:40 AM
i'll bring 1 large bottle of Jose and a couple pounds of ground beef.

avenue
03-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Tortillas
Tomatoes JK:5
Lettuce
Salsa
Guacamole - JAKE
Jalepano Chillis
Onions: Nicole & Les (6)
Shredded Cheese (Sonia, small cheese grater)
Minced (ground) meat (?)
Sour Cream: Nicole & Les (1 costco-sized tub)

Pancake mix - JAKE
Walnut pieces - JAKE
Maple Syrup etc - JAKE
Juices

Plates, Bowls, Cups, Cutlery. Sonia: about 6 bowls, 6 plates, cups, plasticware for 6?

~~Les and I will also be bringing some homemade cookies and some dish soap for clean-up.

~~Kris and Jess and/or Rick, will you have a cooler I can put the sour cream and onions in on Friday??

~~It might also be way easier if we do BYO-plate, bowl, cup, fork, spoon.

skinsk
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Nic. . . the onions should be OK w/o refridging, I have room for sour cream in my cooler if needed. . .

sure, folks should bring dishes, but if all you have is your fine china and silverwear, I have lots of camping extras. . . you know those decent plastics that you can keep reusing, those wooden chopsticks that keep accumulating?! clear plastic cups, that just seem oh-so-much more sophisticated for wine than, say tin (and less of a tinny taste:) Oh, and I have some scrubby pads to help with the clean up.

shanja
03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
That's great everyone! I will have an esky (icebox) Nicole you can stash some stuff in that. I might even have 2!
Just wanted to remind folks that it's a great idea to pre-chop, dice, shred, slice etc all your ingredients - AT HOME. Saves time and stress. Also, give thought to the amount of garbage (trash) will we be generating. If you can remove any unnecessary packaging at home that would be sweet. Finally, and sorry to nag, but maybe plastic bottles are better than glass in case of accidents etc.
I like the idea of everyone bringing their own plate, bowl, spork, mug etc...plus a few extras!

avenue
03-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Oops!

Rick, did you already get sour cream? If so, then two peeps are already bringing it, in which case Les and I will bring a tub of guac.

Katz
03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
I'll bring the lettuce and croissants.

avenue
03-31-2008, 03:50 PM
I reviewed what people have posted and here's what we've committed to:

Tortillas: Shagymb, Rick
Tomatoes: JK (5), Nicole & Les (3 chopped)
Lettuce: Katz
Salsa: Shagymb, Rick
Guacamole - JAKE, Nicole & Les
Jalepano Chillis
Onions: Heavyd, Nicole & Les (4 chopped)
Refried beans - JAKE (1 can), Rick
Shredded Cheese: Sonia (small cheese grater), Rick
Minced (ground) meat: MilMil
Sour Cream: Heavyd, Rick
Cilantro: Heavyd
Marshmallows: Heavyd
Cookies: Nicole & Les

Pancake mix - JAKE
Walnut pieces - JAKE
Maple Syrup etc - JAKE
Juices
Croissants: Katz
Morning rolls:

Dish Soap: Nicole & Les
Scrubby Pads: Sonia

Tequilla: MilMil
Margarita Mix: Shagymb
Limes:Shagymb

Hopefully we can all bring the items we said we would.....When posting, copy and paste this list so it's easy for everyone to see who's bringing what and how much.

Chickenlegs
03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Tortillas: Shagymb, Rick
Tomatoes: JK (5), Nicole & Les (3 chopped)
Lettuce: Katz
Salsa: Shagymb, Rick
Guacamole - JAKE, Nicole & Les
Jalepano Chillis
Onions: Heavyd, Nicole & Les (4 chopped)
Refried beans - JAKE (1 can), Rick
Shredded Cheese: Sonia (small cheese grater), Rick
Minced (ground) meat: MilMil
Sour Cream: Heavyd, Rick
Cilantro: Heavyd
Marshmallows: Heavyd
Cookies: Nicole & Les

Pancake mix - JAKE
Walnut pieces - JAKE
Maple Syrup etc - JAKE
Juices
Croissants: Katz
Morning rolls:

Frypans (preferabley non-stick Large x 4 or 5) - JAKE, Sonia:1, Jessie&Kris (1)
Cutting Knives and cutting Boards ((x 3 or 4) Jessie&Kris: 1/1, Sonia:1/1
Gas-Stoves (x 4 or 5) - JAKE , Sonia:1, Jessie&Kris 1,
Dish Soap: Nicole & Les
Scrubby Pads: Sonia
Mixing bowls (for pancakes) - Jessie&Kris 1,
Whisks - Jessie & Kris 1,
Spatulas - Jessie & Kris 1,

Tequilla: MilMil
Margarita Mix: Shagymb
Limes:Shagymb

Hopefully we can all bring the items we said we would.....When posting, copy and paste this list so it's easy for everyone to see who's bringing what and how much.

dehaan
03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
ummm. whats left?

skinsk
03-31-2008, 07:55 PM
ummm. whats left?

maybe some peppers? jalapenos and or regular? additional coffee, juices

. . .maybe additional cheese (as I put myself down for a GRATER:) not the cheese itself, in the event it didn't come grated)

last time someone brought some blueberries for pancakes?

also, who plans to be there Fri? and does anyone want in on a curry? in which case I'd be happy to suggest things for this?

Mandalynn
04-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd like to pitch in 10,000 won to someone with a car for carting alot of gear and food around in leiu of bringing food.

Shagymb
04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Mandalynn,

What would you like to bring. I am going to go shopping agian on thur or friday. Just let me know.

Mike,

Sounds good just give me a call when you are at the Hump.

Later

Mike,

mil-mil
04-01-2008, 08:35 PM
mike do you know the schedule for the wolf pack wheals?

Jessica
04-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm not 100% that I'll be able to make it, but if I can, I'll bring random snacks, more coffee, and cash for those of you who are able to shop in Wonderland and Costco.

tigreye2000
04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey guys. I'm coming Saturday around 12:30 and I can bring a few things too. Cheese - cheddar and white, small tortillas, some peppers. I'll also grab a some plasticware and small dishes. See you there :)