PDA

View Full Version : Denied E1 visa because of Car Accident

bhylenski
02-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Hello,

My name is Bryan. I have worked in Korea for the last year. During that time, I was in a car accident. I had full insurance and my car was registered. I did not flee the scene and I was not drunk. I paid my fine and I apologized. I believed everything was ok! The police officers, my employer and the justice departmet told me I did everything right and even thanked me for paying my fine and not just leaving the country!

I was awarded a job at a University near Daegu. I was awarded an E-1 visa based on my job experience and career expertise. My wife and I have a newborn baby and have planned to raise her in Daegu together.

But, today I was contacted by my employer and they told me the Minstry of Justice rejected my visa! Their reason was I had a CRIMINAL RECORD?? They told me a car accident represents a criminal offense, therefore I was not allowed to work in Korea.

I am wondering if there is a way to appeal this decision? I am an upstanding citizen with a clean background in America and many references from friends and employers here in Korea.

This was my dream job! We have spent the last 3 months planning for this part of our life.

Do I have any options??

I can not believe that after making a mistake (an illegal left turn), then doing everything else right, taking responsibitlity for my mistake and paying the fine. Korea responds by kicking me out. Is there anyone I can talk to or appeal to??

I am flying to Korea on Wednesday to try and appeal this situation and plead my case to any one who will listen. Where should I start? I am an honest person, with a family and a clean record in my home country, but here in Korea, I'm viewed as a criminal....

Any advice?

shanja
02-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey Bryan!
That is so wrong. I am in shock reading that stuff. It seems really crazy. Recently you might have heard that the Korean Govt have been rushing to implement a whole bunch of "well intentioned but poorly planned/ thought-out/ advised new laws for visas". I suspect you have been caught up in this. Our uni has lost several potential and serving teachers over this, and many Unis and so on are pretty furious at the way it's been handled. They are getting short-staffed and made to loose face. But, to the point of whom might be able to help you:
1-I'd be contacting the Dept of Immigration first up, because it is really their call on visa approvals. Dept of Justice wouldn't really be involved for minor traffic infringemments...that sounds like someone passing the buck.
http://www.immigration.go.kr/indeximmeng.html
2-You could try contacting a lawyer who specializes in visa law. An internet search should get you this pretty quick. They may cost, but usually they can at least answer a call/ e-mail for free and say whether there is anything they can do or suggest.
3-If you wanted you could contact the Dept of Justice, though their web-site seems to be down at the moment.
http://www.moj.go.kr/mojeng/index.html
If I learn of anything else that might help you out, I'll pass it along. Best wishes and good luck to you and your family Bryan!
Jake.

Eric
02-16-2008, 11:51 PM
That is completely shocking!

Along with what Jake said, I would also seek a 2nd and 3rd opinion. I recently had a question regarding my previous status in Korea and I called 3 different embassies in Canada. I got three different answers. So your situation could have been a case of the person who gave you that answer didn't know the answer and therefore erred on the side of 'no'.

skinsk
03-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Bryan,

As one who was soooo hoping to visit you in Daegu and play with the baby and climb with you and/or your wife, I was taken aback when I saw this post. . . I was wondering (hoping!!) you resolved this in a way that allowed you to get your visa!?

Hope to see you soon!! Peace!

Eric
03-01-2008, 02:51 AM
I was also wondering what the status was.