PDA

View Full Version : Who would YOU vote for?

skinsk
12-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Elections are tomorrow (and it's a national holiday!. . . what a groovy idea!)
Most of us can't vote, but if you could, who would you choose?

#1 Chung Dong-young :)
#2 Lee Myung-bak :suspiciou
#12 Lee Hoi-chang :(
#3-11. . . :confused8

Can someone make this into a poll?

I vote for #1 myself, being a Jeolla-girl. I'm not 100% keen on Pres No, I mean Roh, and I don't know everything about DY. . . but he seems to want to continue the policies I do like, and perhaps with ore style than the current Prez.

#2-- is the economy so bad? I don't get the canal plan and while I like what the guy did aesthetically with Seoul, I am not sure I want an ultra conservative pres (oh wait, I have one:doh: ). . . I mean in my adopted country! Electing a liar in the midst of a scandal doesn't seem like a great idea. . . but I still wouldn't bet against him. . .

While #12 has some funky music, the guy's a loser has-been who couldn't get his party's nomination. Retire. . . go be a statesman. . take up a cause like cleaning up beaches. . . oh wait, like everyone else, he already did. . .

#3-11. . . what do they think this is, the US primary?!?! A least here they all get numbers (and songs!. . . though I guess yo can't vote by song).

So I'm curious to hear your assessment and opinions!

Hypoxic
12-19-2007, 01:35 AM
I'd likely vote for Moon Guk-hyun. He's the only one with an environmental platform, and a clean history to prove his willingness and ability to do some good for the local environment. He has a good business history - former CEO of (environmental friendly) Yuhan-Kimberley, the joint venture of Yuhan-Kimberly & Clark - and he seems less slimy than say Myung-bak (vomits).

Huh Kyeong-young is good entertainment though, claiming his 430 IQ and ability to see the future. That'd be good for Korea, stir some stuff up. :D

I fear though that it will be Darth Vader, Lee Myoung-bak. Prepare for another lackluster five years...

Hypoxic
12-19-2007, 01:44 AM
#2-- is the economy so bad? I don't get the canal plan

No, the economy is not nearly as bad as all Koreans think and/or are lead to believe it is. I work directly in the economic sector in Yeoido and the Korean economy now is:
1) at it's historic high...
2) ...with no sign of slowing
3) expected to grow at least 20% in 2008, no matter who's president
4) something all Koreans are worried about, but seem to know very little about...
5) ...and is therefore used as a great platform strategy to lure votes

The canal. *sigh* The canal. Please, please, please... No. No canal. Please.

I thought the blown-cover of the scandal would render Lee unvotable, but it seems in these topsy turvy politics, it only strengthens his popularity. :doh: He had a 40% lead as of today... Unless something really odd (ie, a wonderful miracle happens), he will be president.

skinsk
12-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Shawn. . . maybe you should do a Daily Show Korea?!

But hey, all the candidates visited the Taean area to get their photo taken shovelling some oil. . . less slimy than say Myung-bak . . . to my knowledge, none spent much time wiping down rocks. . .

40% lead-- he was only 30 or so points up before the scandal (50%-20%)! But yeah, it wasn't if they hadn't just finished an investigation. . . and looking at the minor candidates (thanks for the assessment!!) it kinda resembles our race. Yeah, as a former Kucinich delegate, if I were Korean, I'd probably be dancing in the street and stumping from the back of a truck for Moon Guk-hyun.

but while #2 is promising 15-20% growth (over 10 years. . . the ROK is at 4% now) and a 50% jump in per-capita income! expected to grow at least 20% in 2008 seems high-- most forecasts by legit economists are in the 5% range, considering the high won and Korea's restrictive policies. . . 20% is a crazy campaign pledge. . .

Hypoxic
12-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Shawn. . . maybe you should do a Daily Show Korea?!

But hey, all the candidates visited the Taean area to get their photo taken shovelling some oil. . . . . . to my knowledge, none spent much time wiping down rocks. . .

40% lead-- he was only 30 or so points up before the scandal (50%-20%)! But yeah, it wasn't if they hadn't just finished an investigation. . . and looking at the minor candidates (thanks for the assessment!!) it kinda resembles our race. Yeah, as a former Kucinich delegate, if I were Korean, I'd probably be dancing in the street and stumping from the back of a truck for Moon Guk-hyun.

but while #2 is promising 15-20% growth (over 10 years. . . the ROK is at 4% now) and a 50% jump in per-capita income! seems high-- most forecasts by legit economists are in the 5% range, considering the high won and Korea's restrictive policies. . . 20% is a crazy campaign pledge. . .

No, I wouldn't imagine any of them actually getting their hands dirty.

40% was as of poll predictions yesterday morning. He's president now anyway...:doh:

The 20% mark (*just noticed my mistake; I didn't mean to say "at least 20%) is with inclusion of all foreign investing that is expected to enhance domestic economies. What with DHL's new (huge!) logistics office and warehouse at Incheon, and the merging of ING Management with Landmark (Korea's 12th largest assest management company), plus other increased foreign investment, along with increased international competiveness of Korean products, the full recovery from the IMF (as of November 20 this year), as well as the various FTAs that Korea is working on (four or five? can't recall), predictions by non-political economic entities, the ones I have access to anyway (including the ones I work with), range the economy growth between 10 to 20%. The market growth in the last quarter (when the government had to enact measures to cool it down) and this current third quarter do indicate a very productive market economy in 2008. Of course though, Korea historically has always had a stronger market toward year end, and slower market at year beginning. None the less, all of this is underlined by the amazing performance of last year's economy. Now whether it does grow to 20% is a waiting game, but I do think it will range higher than 10% by year end (2008).

Like I mentioned before, I honestly think the "economy as bad" was being used as a platform to secure votes. The economy is not the prime issue for Korea - advancement of social systems and the environment are Korea's biggest problems.

Anyway, we can justly complain about Lee because we didn't support him from the get go. My wife went to vote today and, given the outcome, she is, well, pissed.