PDA

View Full Version : camera

skinsk
10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
OK, seems I lost my camera this weekend. . . if it doesn't come back this week, I will buy another (sigh). In the $300 range, what are your recommendations. I liked my Nikon Coolpix, but it tore through AA batteries and had a shutter delay. I want publication quality photos, easy to use. Also taking advice about where to shop, but mostly what camera.

If possible, send me an email (in my profile) with a closeup and long range and maybe action shot taken by your camera, with the best resolution your e-mail will allow you to send. Also, let me know what your experience with cameras is-- such as, if you're a really good photographer:photo: .

(PS: I'd appreciate any photo from last weekend, though I can't reciprocate:pout:)

shanja
10-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Oh bummer Sonia! Did you lose the camera or did it die? D'ya know if it was on Sat or Sun? I'll post what pics I got on Sat....we all look a bit chilly at the top, but...
Camera wise there are 3 crucial factors (excluding price):
1-Megapixels
2-Optical Zoom Power
3-Image Stabilization.
Digital image quality just can't compete with film above postcard size unless you have a minimum of 8 Megapixels. The higher the better, and these days there are so many 10-12 megapixel cameras out there.
Optical zoom is the key factor in getting quality zoom. Digital zoom just makes the pixels (dots) bigger, and hence quickly adds a lot of blurry grain to even the highest megapixel shot. Most cameras have a mix of optical and digital zoom, though the latter is almost worthless for the shots you are talking about. Optical zoom is distortion free (well 99%) and so a true zoom you would want at least a 5x or 6x optical zoom.
Image stabilization is what ties all the other features together. Hizoom (optical or digital) magnifies greatly the shake and blur from tiny hand movements etc. There are a few different Image Stabilization systems out there, but all seek to minimize shake distortion...especially when using a zoom. Honestly, it makes a huge difference in image quality.
I won't recommend any given models yet, have a look at camerareview, consumerreview, digitalcamera etc etc

skinsk
10-22-2007, 01:10 PM
lost as in i took it off and left it by the cable car:doh: thanks for the technical breakdown, but it gave me a headache! i hate buying technical stuff like this. . . in this case, i prefer the advice of others who enjoy going through that stuff. if I know a/some make/s/model/s you have been happy with (plus maybe their quirks or drawbacks) and can see a sample and ask intimate questions about it/them, that would be really helpful.

sample language I understand:

me: when i press the button, how fast does it take the picture?
you: fast
me: fast or very fast?
you: fast, i've only missed a few shots, and they were of falling climbers
and the indy 500.

me: can you set the dial and run and jump in the photo?
you: yes, it will take up to 2 pictures of you with a 10 second delay

me: how easy is it to download?
you: plug it into your USB and pictures appear on your screen
me: great

note how simple. maybe once i finish exam grading i'll look at your (jake's) post again. . . speaking of which, i posted the routes to encourage you (and seung-kab) to post any nice photos:rolleyes8

(thanks M for the simple recommendation-- clearly you grasp my camera vocab;) i'll check it out!)

Chickenlegs
10-22-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm guessing from the above post that you are looking to purchase a good point-and-shoot as opposed to anything with manual options? Are you looking for something small enough for a pocket, or what size?

skinsk
10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
probably won for won or $ for $ it would be better to go automatic. . . to be honest, even when i had a camera with options, i took 95% automatic. . .

and good point-- small is definitely better as 50% of what i take these days are climbing pics. . . so light, small and able to be dropped (because i do. . . but only from standing heights). . .

my old one was about the size of an average hand. . . and i liked it except the slowness and occasional blurred shot and problems with night shots and well, the shutter got stuck sometimes. . . but that was after a month on the beach. . .

i miss it:) my car better not need any more work this month. sigh.

Chickenlegs
10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Cannon has a line of digital cameras that have a fold-out adjustable LCD panel. I got one several years ago, called the Powershot A95. It was decently quick and took REALLY good quality picture for what it was. I had some of them (from Utah, actually) blown up to 8 1/2 by 11 and they were nice quality. The adjustable LCD is handy because you don't always have to worry about a case. The LCD twists and folds closed against the camera. When you want to take a really quick shot, you don't have to worry about taking it out of the case (and in my case, not dropping or losing the case!). I know a few other KOTRers also have Canon Powershot A series cameras. It also takes good video/audio.

Also, Kris has a canon Powershot SD. It is TINY (think a deck of cards) and takes fast, good pictures. It is super easy to take on routes because it is so small. We both often wear pants with side zip pockets when climbing, and it is small enough to easily fit in my small-women sized pockets.

Happy camera shopping! Next to gear and organic wool, that's probably my favorite kind of shopping! :)

skinsk
10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm with you on gear and organic wool . . . maybe I should just give you the money and you get the camera for me?! Anyway, thanks for the readable advice. . . sounds a lot like what I am looking for. . . now I have a few good choices!

Ricky
10-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus make the best lenses (apparently).

Chickenlegs
10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus make the best lenses (apparently).

The last three cameras I've bought have all been Canon. (Rebel SLR, A series, Digital Rebel)

If I had the money, I'd get a Nikon. :)

skinsk
10-24-2007, 05:11 PM
My old SLR (non-digital) was a rebel G. . . are Nikons more expensive? I paid about $250 for my coolpix-- one of the middling styles? I wasn't thinking of anything with detachable lenses. . . and Ricky, you named about all the brands I can think of!!

Chickenlegs (and Mike via PM) make recommendations I can follow (as in print out, compare, etc). .. I would like to see some sample shots, but I think actually, there may be a website for that!!

Would be a shame to miss those crisp fall shots!

Jessica
10-25-2007, 02:04 PM
I recently got a Cannon Powershot SD1000, and LOVE it. I found it on sale at a COSTCO in the States, so I'm not sure what it would cost here or where you would find it, but I like the quality of the images (both the clarity and the colors), the very short amount of time from hitting "on" to being able to take a picture (as in, almost instantly) and the fact that it has a rechargeable battery that lasts (at least for me) for a long time. While there issn't a lot of room for customization, I use it for point and shoot 95% of the time, so that doesn't bother me. It is about the size of a deck of cards. I'm really, really happy with it.

climbergrrl
10-30-2007, 10:13 PM
ooh! there are others who are also into organic wool shopping! 아싸!

maybe we should start a new thread...;)

Jessica
10-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Are we talking about organic wool as in for knitting? Or stuff that is already made from it?

This is totally random (sorry for the thread hijack, Sonia) but I know there are a handful of knitters here - has anyone else heard of Ravelry.com? I'm in love with the site, and there is a group for knitters in Korea.

If there is anyone who wants info on knitting stuff in Korea, give me a holler.

climbergrrl
10-31-2007, 09:53 AM
i was talking about the stuff already made from it (organic wool long undies! mmm...:) ), BUT i also am in love with knitting now and would love to join you in any knitting escapades that you get up to! i know there are some decent shops for yarn around jongno-5-ga (buy your climbing and knitting supplies all in one trip!), but i don't know much else about it i.e. places to pick up organic wool or even organic cotton yarn (the thick kind, not the stringy stuff)...

thanks for the info on the website! i'll check it out!

also, my friend tobi and i have been having some knitting parties lately. let me know when you're up and we'll have another one!

cheers!
d

skinsk
10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
let's start a new thread! as the winter sets in, we can have a meet and knit and climb. . . there is a nice knit shop here in Jeonju. . . not sure about organic wool, but I've gotten nice wool there in the past. . .

mickileepaul
11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
This is a little late, and you probabaly have already gotten hold of a good camera.

I can suggest a good website to review many cameras and their specifications. http://www.dpreview.com you can go there, click on any model and see a review, including the basics, the advanced and samples. It's great because they also have a comparison chart, you select the models you want to compare, then it lists all the specs side by side.

If you would like a great camera for rock climbing, I suggest the Olympus Stylus SW series. The Olympus 770 SW 725 SW and 720 SW. The SW stands for waterproof and shockproof. For those times when you might bang it around on a few rocks, or when the weather and dirt might get into the camera. Pentax has a waterproof model as well, the Pentax Optio W10, W20, W30.

Another deciding factor would be to figure out what memory cards you already have (if you have extras). Many manufacturers use a certain type of card, SD, CF I,II, or xd cards. If you have extras, buy a camera that would utilize it. So many models out there to choose from, and even getting a name recommended like Nikon, Canon or Olympus does little to help. They all have comparable features. Everyone has a preference. Do you want a camera that shoots in low light? Some are better than others. Pentax has a great macro zoom of 1cm. Meaning you can get exceptionally close. The ShockProof and Waterproof camera are amazing all around cameras. Dropping is okay, and it goes underwater!

I have the Pentax, but it isn't great in low low light (use the flash instead) and my brother has the Olympus SW. Both have been extremely durable, and my Pentax is not shockproof, but has been dropped from 5ft onto a concrete slab. No problems, just a scratch. (I didn't drop it, never give to a friend to hold!)

Just my two cents. I've been digital ever since the first 1MP camera was out, any questions, shoot me a line.

cheers