PDA

View Full Version : Areas Near Kunsan AB

climbercrewchief
09-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Hey out there Im going to be moving to Kunsan Air Base at the end of Oct and was wandering if there was any good sport climbing/bouldering in that area. I wont have a car so it has to be kinda close or take a bus or something. Any help? Thanks.

skinsk
09-30-2007, 12:00 PM
ricardo is your go-to man for kunsan. i live in jeonju just south of there on the train line. fortunately, pulic transportation in korea is pretty good, and you can usually join others on the weekend. you're in jeollabuk-do province, near chungcheongnam-do--- you can "search climbs" for more info on the area. if you like plastic you're set: there is a small gym in addition to the public wall in kunsan )posted), and another wall in the gym on base! (you can search cities, but try gunsan, with a "g". . . the "preferred spelling under the "new" standardization!)

shanja
09-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey man, welcome to KOTR and Korea when you get here. Gunsan/ Kunsan is pretty close to a few popular crags. Soksal bawi (bawi = crag/rock) at Seounsan State Park is good and should be easy access by bus etc from Gunsan. Check out:
http://www.koreaontherocks.com/climbing/areas.php?area_id=9&sort=name
There are a lot of other areas too as Sonia said. Ricardo (send him a pm) is a climber from Gunsan Air Base and a top guy, no doubt he'll help hook you up with the beta you need too.

ricardo
09-30-2007, 11:50 PM
sweet! a climber coming to kunsan??
as mentioned, there is a (9m) wall in the fitness center with a lot of new routes. there is an outdoor wall in the city park (15 minute / ~$1 bus ride) that gets as hard as you want, and also a local bouldering gym a couple blocks away from the wall.
seonunsan is the easiest to access via public trans...and just happens to be one of the premier sport crags in the country. there is also maisan park (1.5 hrs drive) with two crags! both are incredibly beautiful parks.
i'll be out of town when you get in, but i'll be ready to make use of any remaining decent weather on the 2nd and 3rd weekends of november. looking forward to climbing with you! (ps, don't be 'the nice guy' and accept swing shifts!)
cheers!
oh btw, you may have heard a bad rap about being stationed at kunsan...do not believe it.

climbercrewchief
10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Sweet I cant wait to get there. Thanks for all the beta guys, looks like the climbing will be better than here in phoenix, and closer. im stationed at luke afb.

JMK
12-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Ill be at Kunsan in FEB. Cant wait to get back into climbing shape! Hows the bouldering around there?

climbercrewchief
12-16-2007, 09:45 PM
its good man plus there is a gym on base. public transportation is cheap and easy also. Let me know when you get here and ill show you around.